New owner needs help with motors

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Oh Sea Dee
deckhand
deckhand

New owner needs help with motors

Post by Oh Sea Dee »

My wife and I are proud owners of PDQ 32035, previously named Lead Free. The boat has been renamed "Oh Sea Dee". Our home port is in the Miami, FL area.
I need some advise. Our boat had recently been outfitted with new Honda 15 hp. 4 stroke outboards. We have plenty of power, but when the motors are tilted up for sailing or storing out of the water, the motor well hatch covers will not close due to the larger engine.
Please tell me if you are using these motors on your 32. How have you dealt with the hatch cover issues?
Ted Cook
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Honda 15s in PDQ 32

Post by Page 83 »

I've owned both a PDQ 32 and PDQ 36. I don't have the measurements to compare, but I've always though the 32 hatches were more "engine Friendly than the 36. While I'd be glad to trade you my 800 hr 9.9 high thrusts, you might want to think about this solution: examine the location of the engine clamps, and see if you can't cut down the "transoms" of the eninge blisters to lower the engines. Then consider having a glass man give you some "hood domes" on the hatches.

A quick glance at the Yahamamotors web site was depressing. The new high thrust engines are wider to accomodate a spin off oil filter. Somebody at Yamaha did not do their homework. I may use the high thrust 8s as my next replacements. I suspect they will be no more than a half knot slower at cruise, and I will definitely get the electric tilt!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026