Length of control cables / New control box

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
TomKat
deckhand
deckhand

Length of control cables / New control box

Post by TomKat »

I'm replacing the old Morse control box with a new Morse MT-3 on "TomKat" 32011 (1995) and at the same time will replace the throttle/shift cables. Can anyone tell me the port and starboard cable lengths that I will need? I've heard it's easier to thread the new cables at the same time you remove the old or I would just measure them. Any other ideas for making this job simpler? THANKS
wgfischer
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wgfischer »

I took mine out with a string taped to the end. I left the string in while I took the cables to the dealer. It was not a problem.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

If you have Teleflex cables, the part number printed on the cable indicates the length. It's the last 2 digits.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
TomKat
deckhand
deckhand

Post by TomKat »

Thanks for the info. Since two go to each side I just removed one from each side to get the lengths. The Teleflex numbers were far enough up on both cables that without removing them they could not be seen. 11' for port side and 8' for starboard (32' PDQ). I'll tape the two new ones to the old one that remains and try feeding them through.

As a side note, could I have damaged the wiring to the stern cabin reading lights when the old cables were removed? Now, BOTH lights don't work?????? Do you think the wiring and cables share the same passage? Oh well, just another chore to put on the "to do " list for this spring! Thanks again