Mast Replacment and Test sail Request

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
David Love

Mast Replacment and Test sail Request

Post by David Love »

I have recently purchased an Altair 32. Due to on going repairs I have not yet had the boat in the water. I have not had the opportunity to sail on a PDQ and would like to know would any one consider taking me for a demonstration sail. ( I am in the lake Ontario region but would concider traveling if I had the opportunity to test sail )
Also I am in the process of replacing the mast, any comments or suggestions that any one feels should be incorporated into a new mast would be appreciated. I have read on the forum a comment claming that the 32’s most common cruising speed is 5 to 6 Knots. Should I consider checking with an architect to see if the boat would carry a taller mast.
I would particularly appreciate discussion with any one who has or has experience with double diamond riggs ( two sets of spreaders and two forward facing Jumper struts.) as one manufacturer is recommending this configuration with a lighter section.
Your comments and suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks
DL
Stepping Stone

Test Sail

Post by Stepping Stone »

If you get down to New Jersey, I'd be happy to take you out on my 32
Roger Wood RBWOOBK@Aol.com
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

sailing the 32

Post by doubledutch »

I have a PDQ32 on Lake Simcoe north of Toronto and would be happy to take you for a sail. My boat has the tall mast and I had the sail recut and installed stiffer battens for better sail shape. I regularily sail in the 7 to 9 knot range, 10 knots or better is also not uncommon. I do often have the advantage of relatively flat water which makes better speeds easier to maintain and I try to keep the boat somewhat lightly loaded. I had been surprised by some of the modest speeds reported by other owners and checked my speed with a GPS to make sure they were real - I found in fact that my instrument reads a bit conservative.