Looking for a Genoa

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Bravo 2
deckhand
deckhand

Looking for a Genoa

Post by Bravo 2 »

I am looking for a genoa for my PDQ 32". Any suggestions welcome. I am hoping to replace the self-tacking jib on the furler. What problems am I likely to run into with regard to rigging?

We are living permanently on Bravo 2, presently cruising the Eire Canal and Lake Champlain. We will be heading down the East coast in the Fall.

Please communicate by email, ve3aeo@winlink.org. We access the internet only when available in a library on shore.

Graham
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

I put a larger genoa on Phenix. I needed to replace the furling line because the sail is larger so more line is needed. I also needed to downsize the line so that it would fit on the drum.

I no longer use the self-tacking track but tack it like a normal jib.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

genoa

Post by doubledutch »

Phenix I am curious as to the results of your change. Does your boat have the tall rig? How much larger did you go with the genoa? What performance impact do you feel you achieved? Worth doing?
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Re: genoa

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

doubledutch wrote:Phenix I am curious as to the results of your change. Does your boat have the tall rig? How much larger did you go with the genoa? What performance impact do you feel you achieved? Worth doing?
No, Phenix does not have the tall rig, it is hull #7. So that translated into a smaller main sail that the newer models.

The performance impact is *significant*. I can now do 4-5 knots is 8 knots of wind. The difference is most apparent in close reach, beam reach and broad reach situations. I do not have the exact measurements of the sail, but it is probably 50-70% more sail area than the original jib. That is a guess.

Something about it that comes in handy, if I have more than about 6 knots of wind, I can sail with the genoa alone. This is especially useful when I am incredibly lazy or want to go on a very leisurely sail on Lake Michigan with very little work to do. 8)

It really takes two to tack, as it is not self tacking. We're getting the hang of it now.

I reef this genoa at 15 knots of wind, as I am a little concerned about loads on the rig in winds above that with that much sail area up.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

32 performance

Post by doubledutch »

Thanks Phenix. It's interesting to note significant variations in performance reports. I do have the taller mast and with 8 knots of wind I easily see 6 to 7 knots. My performance numbers turned out considerably better than what I was lead to expect based on owners comments. I made a point of checking speeds with a GPS as they semed too good only to find that my instruments were reading a quarter knot slow.
I did have some work done on the mainsail and replaced the original battens with much stiffer ones that do a great job of maintaining a good sail shape. I have an assymetrical that is a nice boost in light air or when running off the wind but I must confess it is hard to give up the convenience of the self tacking jib. I had thought it might be interesting to explore the possibility of a new jib with a positive roach using the vertical battens they are now using on furling mains. It could be a way to gain a bit of performance without giving up the self tacking.