Weld holding forestay to crossbeam torn

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Wind & Water
deckhand
deckhand

Weld holding forestay to crossbeam torn

Post by Wind & Water »

The forestay weld to the crossbeam has torn on the fore side.
Pictures at http://www.well.com/user/rwa/sailing/

Has anyone else seen this?
If so please let me know how you fixed it, and what the cause was.

Thanks,

Reed Alpert
Wind & Water 3249
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

weld / crack

Post by doubledutch »

It is fortunate that you spotted the problem before it progressed to a full failure. I will be sure to inspect my boat and suggest that others do likewise.

It appears that the crack is not in the weld but is in the cross beam material itself. Judging from the angle of the bracket it appears that it was not truly in line with the forestay resulting in stress concentration at the front edge.

In order to get the loading away from the cracked area and to spread the load over a larger area I would add an aluminum bar at right angles to the existing bracket. If the material is fitted properly it can be welded to the existing bracket and in turn welded to the cross beam allowing for a longer weld on the cross beam.

Follow up comment
I checked my boat today and do not see any evidence of a problem however my bracket is straight and is welded directly in line with the forestay. I don't know the reason why your bracket is angled - a straight in line connection would provide a stronger joint.
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Knotty Cat »

I am the owner of hull 32048. After viewing your picture I checked my boat. It has a straight connection,no bend, and passes through the cross beam and is also welded underneath. Are there signs of distress on the underside of your beam ?
Wind & Water
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Wind & Water »

I did check the bottom of the cross-beam, and there is no damage to the weld. PDQ have sent me a new crossbeam. I haven't unwrapped it yet, but I think that the forestay attachment should be straight as your is. I will let you know when I install.

Thanks,

Reed.
Wind & Water
deckhand
deckhand

Crossbeam replaced by PDQ

Post by Wind & Water »

When PDQ saw the picture they offered to replace the corssbeam at no cost. Last weekend James Power was here in NY and replaced the beam, tuned the rigging, and answered my numerous questions.

Exceptional service!