Sail Trim Cheat-Sheet

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Latis (32028)
1st mate
1st mate

Sail Trim Cheat-Sheet

Post by Latis (32028) »

Anyone out there have some "best practices" in terms of sail trim diagram for the 32 for the main points of sail. How to best use the traveler; boom angle, close hauled positions; beam reach seems a bit different from monohulls - since I can't really extend the main too far out due to the shrouds... maybe that's ok? Downwind (without a spinnaker) realizing that I can't go dead down wind ... alas ... I still haven't hit the 10-12Knots that I see advertised on here from various posts (part of it may be old sails but the main part I'm sure is my rookie sail triming skills or not having sailed in 25 knot winds yet?).
I was looking through the PDQ docs I have and there aren't any helpful pointers... I have the standard self-tacking jib and main.
Thanks!
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

sail trim

Post by doubledutch »

What I found to be the key elements were 1) don't bring the jib traveller in too far - with the small jib you quickly back wind the main if it is in too close 2) unless winds are over 15 knots it's best to keep the main sheet fairly hard and use the traveller to position the boom - keep the boom off center 3) down wind 130 degrees is about as far off the wind as you want to be.

Mainsail shape is very important - I have tell tales on the main and refer to them all the time. I also went to much stiffer battens as the originals tended to develop an S shape with any significant wind.