Icebox modification

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Altair.
Aquila 32/31
deckhand
deckhand

Icebox modification

Post by Aquila 32/31 »

Cat Tales wrote:What did you do to increase your refrigerators efficiency or insulation? I installed a 12 volt fan by connecting it to the compressor. The fan draws 0.12 amps, but helps maintain the temperature, (just like a home refrigerator), especially with repeated open & closes of the door.
Chris
The 32 uses an 'icebox' type fridge, whereas your 36 has an 'upright' style. The main problem with the 32 is that the evaporator is at the bottom of the interior, with a shelf above it that divides the interior into two halves (an upper and a lower). The bottom half gets icy cold while the top half is barely cool.

I installed a 12v computer muffin fan on a short duct over the evaporator to draw air up from the bottom section, which then hits the underside of the lid and cascades over the upper half before returning to the bottom again. The thermostat can now be set a little under halfway to keep the whole interior just above freezing. Previously, it would have to be at the max just to keep the top cool, and then everything in the bottom would be frozen solid. Ice cubes are still made in the moulds that slip inside the evaporator core, and the fan picks up it's power at the compressor so that it's on all the time that fridge breaker is on.

While the above would probably help in any fridge, the second problem with the 32 doesn't affect the 36. The lid to the icebox just rests under its own weight to close, while the 36 has a positive lock which compresses the gasket. I fitted a flush handle/lock to our icebox lid so that you have to push down slightly for it to engage, thereby compressing the gasket and making a functional seal.