Electric Choke Switch Options

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Electric Choke Switch Options

Post by NautiBits »

Howdy folks!

My new, 2016, Yamaha 9.9s have an electric choke and no manual option. The original Yamaha Ignition Switch panel does not include an electric choke switch. The original panel still works reliably, so I'm not inclined to replace it. Although I can flip the choke to the 'on' position after removing the engine cowl, this can be a problem for other operators.

I would like to fabricate a switch that can actuate the electric choke. There are several unused holes in the helm in which to place this switch setup. Have any of you gone this route? Do you have pics and advice about proceeding on this project?
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: Electric Choke Switch Options

Post by thinwater »

Electric, in this case, means that the choke is thermoelectric automatic, correct? If this is the case, why do you need a switch? My last engines were electric choke, and the choke was trouble free. In very cold (sub 40F) weather a manual option is slightly better, but I don't think many sail then.

Or maybe I'm confused.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Electric Choke Switch Options

Post by amytom »

I think a few of the later model 9.9’s had an electric choke solenoid on or off not the thermoelectric of the early models.
Yamaha had some ignition switches that if you pressed the key in further than just inserting it would cycle the choke on. Maybe you can find one of those?