Going Up The Mast on A Capella

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Rock climbers "steps" can be handy at the tope for rest.

Post by thinwater »

Sold for aid climbing as 4 and 5 step models, they can be clipped with a biner to either your top accender or a sling girth hitched (like a prussic hitch) to the mast.

Never unhook from a separate belay line. You never know.

It is always handy to take a selection of slings and biners up with you, in case you want to secure yourself a little differently. You may need to release from the top-climber or get off the mast mate to get to the front of the mast - it seems like that is usually where the trouble is.

The thing is, for all of the time I've spent in the mountains, the cliff never moved or swayed when a power boat went by....
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Re: Going Up The Mast on A Capella

Post by maxicrom »

One More Point,

Always use a second safety line when going up, I purchased a lightweight nylon tree climbing harness that I use inside my bosun chair. Why... having had a shackle break and falling 22' to the deck made me a believer - particularly since I lived to tell about it. I routinely used to haul myself up the 47' mast of our old 44' wooden ketch - the blocks were all attached by shackles (no captive sheaves like a PDQ) - using a bosun chair with a double block. Luckily I was only half way up when the cast stainless shackle let go and I landed on my shoulder onto an open gull winged hatch (but that's another story). The main reason I say this is that unlike racing boats - halyard and sheave maintenance on family cruising boats is done on an "as needed" basis or when the mast is off during a yard visit. Being a boat owner for over 20 years and working on them as well rarely do owners do annual rigging maintenance. Even with a captive Sheave if it jams you are stuck - with the second halyard you simply leave the bosun chair and get lowered down.

The PDQ mast has a second halyard available - use it - no matter what you primary transport up is. I was beyond lucky walking away from my fall (actually carried by harbour fire\rescue 8) ).

Mike

FYI: Second lesson learned: Always use forged shackles - cast SS shackles can have impurities and carrode from the inside
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Going Up The Mast on A Capella ---Wind transducer

Post by amytom »

Another lesson learned: when using the TopClimber try to keep the static line close to verticle, much less work.
I made it to the top again today, pulled the wind transducer and found the bearing for the cups was rusted and frozen. I freed it up some but not good enough. I called Raymarine and they assured me that a new bearing is included in the rebuild kit. I ordered one ($25.00) and it should be here Wednesday.

Tom
Root
skipper
skipper

Post by Root »

Going Aloft
I was once capable of hauling my self aloft using a block and tackle with a boson’s chair. Then my wife could winch me up, and then a bunch of neighbors could do it with 18 inch winch handles. Now a crane is necessary. I had the ATN Top Climber and it worked ok if you made the climbing line as tight as a banjo string. I have found the Mast Mate to be the perfect solution for me. Climb up and secure yourself with the safety belt just like the telephone guys and you have both hands free. I replaced the anchor light with a tri-color for our next trip to Bermuda.
Ray and Paula, Wind Seeker
Attachments
Masthead work 2 email.JPG
Masthead work 2 email.JPG (105.59 KiB) Viewed 7371 times
Masthead work 1 email.JPG
Masthead work 1 email.JPG (70.5 KiB) Viewed 7368 times
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

That's a great idea -

Great pix - how small does the sail track (Mast Mate) unit fold up for storage?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Root
skipper
skipper

Post by Root »

Hi Mike,

It coils up into a its storage bag roughly 24 inches in diameter and 6 inches deep. You will have to attach slides for the mast track. I had to reduce the thickness of the slides I bought to fit our Selden mainsail track. Check out eBay there may be one for auction there.

Ray