traveller on hard bimini

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Bob
admiral
admiral

traveller on hard bimini

Post by Bob »

Has anyone moved their traveler up onto the hard bimini on the older model top? I have not been on a newer boat to study the setup but, from photos it appears that the shape of the gutter is deeper and the top extends aft further. Possibly another vertical support on the aft corners. Is it worth doing other than to get the sheets out from under foot?
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Re: traveller on hard bimini

Post by eepstein »

I have not moved mine, but on hull 49 I think the hard top does not extend aft far enough, or is strong enough to handle the traveler. I have seen a couple newer 36s and the hard top is quite a bit different. I also noted in a posting about boom vangs that the angle the traveler has on the deck is probably slightly more optimal, although not nearly as convenient as a hard top. Hope this info is useful.
Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Bob,
I asked PDQ about this when I bought hull #52, because I wanted to install a rear bench. They said that the bimini had been strengthened considerably when they moved the traveller up there. I decided to install the rear bench and leave the traveller where it is. It's really not a problem that way.
Obviously, at the mooring the traveller isn't moving, so getting out of the way of the mainsheet assembly isn't a concern for people sitting on the bench.
Under sail, you really don't change the traveller position all that often, and when I do I just ask guests sitting on the rear bench to lift their legs for a moment.

Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Isn't it a little scary having body parts across the travell

Post by thinwater »

An accidental jibe in a breeze could be a mess. I am sure you are very careful, but we all go wool gathering once in a while. Or do you rig a preventer every time?
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Brendan, I was thinking about building a rear bench seat hence the question. The davits on my boat are, in my opinion inadequate. I ended up drilling and pining them to make dingy retrieval easier.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Guys,
Sorry I'm slow writing back.
Yes, an accidental jibe with my bench/traveller rig with someone sitting on the bench would be bad. Generally, if we're below 160 degrees or the wind seems flaky, I've always had people sit away from the traveller and sheet assembly anyway...and I do use a preventer when I get at all nervous.

Anyway, this system has worked well for me. Bob, if you want some pictures 'll try to track some down.

Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

My boat is one of the older models, hull #17. I've had a rather beefy arch built that included an aft bench seat and a platform on top for mounting four large solar panels plus davits. I moved the traveler from the track on the aft deck up to the arch, well above the bench seat. Instead of a hard track traveler, I have a block that rolls back and forth along a beefy plastic coated stainless cable that runs between each side of the arch. I've been very pleased with the arrangement as it gets the whole main block and tackle & traveler apparatus up and out of the way. Accidental jibes are not an issue. Plus I'm now able to attach an zip-on awning that extends the binimi all the way back to the arch without interfering with the main traveler -- LOTS of shade! Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Ed, do you have any photos?
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

I live in Tuscaloosa, AL but keep my boat on the coast (about 5 hrs away). Next time I'm down there, I'll take some pictures and post them. Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

ED,

I'd like to see a photo as well, does the weight of the arch affect the boat much? I'm very interested in the design and the possibility of moving the traveler out of the way (we also have one of the older hulls).

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Me too.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026