Refinishing Salon Bulkheads

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
admiral
admiral

Refinishing Salon Bulkheads

Post by 36041 »

All,

We are about sand down and refinish the interior wall that separates the salon from the cockpit. Years of wear and tear have left the wall finish pretty rough and I am wondering if anyone else has redone their's? I guess the plan is to sand the wall down and then get some type of one part finish and apply several coats as directed. I'd welcome input from anyone who has done this or has an any helpful ideas.

Thanks,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Re: Refinishing Salon Bulkheads

Post by Ed Ellis »

I’m on the tail-in (thank goodness!) of a complete re-do of the interior of my PDQ 36 which involved refinishing the floors, bulkheads, replacing the ceiling liners, and refinished all of the cabinets.

Be careful that you do not sand too much, as the surface wood on the bulkheads is a very thin veneer. I strongly suggest you use a UV protected polyurethane – it sheds water like a good raincoat. There are several marine polys available. Most have a slight brown color hue to them, thus will very slightly darken the wood. Minwax makes one that can be purchased from any Lowes or Home Depot for about $15 bucks. I used it when refinishing the bulkheads on my PDQ 36.

If you want something that’s completely clear, you’ll probably have to use a 2-part poly, and its very expensive and will probably have to be special ordered. Epifanes makes one I’ve used when refinishing the cabinets. I got it from www.Defender.com

Good luck.

Ed
Hull #17
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Ed,

Are you certain the aft salon bulkhead is a veneer? I would have sworn it was solid wood. I am by no means certain, but it looked like it was the only solid wood in the boat with the exception of the step inserts.

Tom
www.tendervittles.net
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Mine is plywood, but the top ply is pretty thick. I'm sure yours is too, Tom; that would have been a wildly expensive piece of solid wood, with major problems from humidity.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Thanks guys, your were of course right. I drilled a pilot hole in an out of the way place and it is in fact veneer over ply. I guess I'll have to be extra careful sanding. Thanks once again.

Tom
www.tendervittles.net
DanRankin
deckhand
deckhand

Post by DanRankin »

Hi Folks,

Yes all the 36' Bulkheads were constructed of Marine Plywood with a Cherry veneer over it.
If you ever have any questions about any of the PDQ products just drop me a line, as I built almost 200 of them.

Cheers
Dan