Screen Rehab

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
admiral
admiral

Screen Rehab

Post by 36041 »

All,

We took all of our internal window screens off this past weekend so that I could replace the screen material. Does anyone know what the little round rubber piping that holds the screen in place is called? How about where to get it? It all most looks like wind shield washer tubing that you can get at the auto parts store, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Screen Rehab

Post by SecondWind »

Tom,

I'm not sure what that gasket is called, but I do know that it is sold at Home Depot and Lowes, along with the tool to press it in place. It will be with the rolls of screen or nearby.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Tom,

It's called spline. Take some of the original with you so you can size it up as there are several diameters. Buy a little thicker as it will shrink while you stretch it into place. Also when you fiish each peice leave a little tail hanging off for a couple of weeks in case the stretch comes out. Not an easy job with the flimsy frames on these hatches, keep the beer near by.

Tom
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Thanks guys, I knew someone here would know.

Tom
www.tendervittles.net
Bacchagato
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Bacchagato »

Hi Tom
Good luck with the screen remod, they're a PITA to work with. We ordered new screens from BOMAR but they still have the standard bug net mesh that is too large to keep the no-see-ums out. Defender has the no-see-um green mesh and for $30 you get enough to do all the frames. Everyone we've talked to says that not only does it work, it lets more air thru, but we'll have to wait and see. If anyone needs 2 new BOMAR screens with frames to fit the BIG hatches over the bunks, I have 2 extra due to an order mixup. Would love to get rid of them before crossing to Bimini this weekend. Can ship from Key Largo to you.
Fair winds,
Morgan
Bacchagato
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

All,

For what it's worth, we put black wedding veil into our screens a couple of years ago, and even it's super fine openings would not keep out the no-see-ums. Not only did it not keep them out, but it went a long way towards killing the breeze getting inside as well. We've since given up on keeping out the flying teeth of death and instead we concentrate on keeping the squitos at bay. When the evil "teeth" show up, we batten down the hatches and turn on the air conditioner. How lame is that?

Tom
www.tendervittles.net
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Tom,

We spray our screens with "Skin-so-Soft" repellent. It seems to keep the no-seeums away, but it needs to be reapplied frequently. What we often find is that the bugs in the boat got in because we didn't close up soon enough.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind