Seat Back Velcro

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
admiral
admiral

Seat Back Velcro

Post by 36041 »

All,

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to affix the velcro that holds up the vertical cushions in the salon area? I am using self sticking 2" velcro for my new cushions, but I am worried that the sticky back of the velcro will not be enough to hold things long term. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
Tom Green
skipper
skipper

Re: Seat Back Velcro

Post by Tom Green »

My wife who seems to know about these things says:
1. On the cushion side you need to sew the velcro to the fabric. That means taking the cushions out of the covers assuming they have a zipper.
2. On the vertical surface of the seat you use industrial strength velcro adhesive.
Tom & Nanci Green
Diastole
MV3499
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Sorry, I should have elaborated more. I made new cushions and have already sewn 2" adhesive backed velcro to them. It took almost two days to remove the old velcro from the settee area, but now it is clean and ready for the new stuff. The sticky back on the velcro will hold it in place, but I don't think it will hold up long term.

I got an email from a guy who reads our blog and he turned me on to a 3M product that I was able to get from NAPA. It's a glue that is used as automotive trim adhesive and I am going to give it a test run this weekend when I get back to the boat.

Thanks,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Tom,
Use the yellow variety it's stronger - 3M Super Automotive Vinyl Trim Adhesive (aka Gorilla snot). The trick with this stuff is not to use too much, make sure the area is really clean (no soap or residue). Apply it to one surface, attach and pull off lightly it will get stringy, let it dry for a few seconds and reattach and let it cure up. If it moves then it's too thick, pull it off, let it dry a little more and press again. Practice a little first, the stuff does not clean up well in tight areas. But it is super strong.

MB
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

We h velcro have just completed redoing our cushions and used industrial 1" velcro but we also have short pieces of aluminum (1" x 2") that screws to the back of the cushion and one screw into the fiberglass. I assume it was to overcome the slippage issue.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace