Hard top bimini for older PDQ36?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Re: Hard top bimini for older PDQ36?

Post by Marc Gershel »

Sorry about the picture quality. I'll never figure out how to post pictures correctly.
Computer stupid.
Marc
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Marc,

That really looks sweet, very much what I have in mind. I really like the grab upper hand rails. I'm noticing on your rear steps that you don't have the lower "usually underwater" step that we have. Is this a model change or your own modification? Is the tubing tied together across the top and for and aft? Looks like you have good clearance for the winches, my bimini uprights are too close.

Very nice,

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Thanks Mike,
I guess I shouldn't be calling this a bimini, because it's actually one unitized welded fabrication, that's bolted down to the deck. It's constructed from 1.5" dia. heavy wall aluminum. It could actually support a hardtop. I chose Stamoid strictly because of the cost, but if I had to do it again, I would do a light weight f/g.
The bottom steps, and the steps on the rear slanted deck were built by me.
Marc
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Marc:

Great job! Now, you've got me thinking that it may not be such a bad idea after all. Did you consider putting some sort of "windows" in the fabric that would allow you to see the sails from the helm?

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

You guys are toying with my emotions again! And I already blew my tax refund on more electronics.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi Phil,
I did consider cutting in a window, but the top fit so nice I was afraid of screwing it up. Also, on the old original bimini, I had a window, and found it very annoying. Either the sun was in my eyes ,or the main'sl was in the way. I actually kept it covered most of the time.
Phil, do you live at the Brunswick marina? The first time we stopped there, about 12 years ago , there were 5-6 docks, and 2 were unoccupied. The others were partially filled. We planned on stopping for 2-3 days , and stayed a month. Maybe the free washer/dryer had something to do with it.
We stopped there 2 more times over the years with the same results. Loved it.
Marc
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Very nice work.

Post by thinwater »

It seems, though, it must be troublesome to cover the sail in some conditions. The thing I like best about my hard-top is that I can stand on it. I really like that.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

You're right, I agree. At the time I built this it would have cost an additional $3-4000 for the hardtop. As I said, If I should have to replace the top, I would try to build a lightweight f/g one. I would have preferred to have an original, like yours, but I'm satisfied with 2nd best.

Marc
thinwater
admiral
admiral

I understand that completely, and it is beautifully done.

Post by thinwater »

I would agree, though about the window. Add it! The hard top on my 32 has 2 window - 1 each side. I never use the port window, never remove the cover. The starboard I use constantly. Roll the dice.

I would never have trusted my ability to get that fit. I beleive I would have chickened out and used a lacing on the back.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html