Hard top bimini for older PDQ36?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Hard top bimini for older PDQ36?

Post by philiprmcgovern »

James Powers and anyone else who can help:

We are very interested in converting Sunshine's (hull 36036) from the existing soft bimini to a hard top. We would like to move the four solar panels on to it and will undoubtedly need to move the mainsheet traveller onto it as well. I believe that this hard top was an option on the later model 36's.

At some later date, we'd also like to add a bench seat/dinghy davit arrangement across the stern, but that's another story.

My questions for now:

-Where can I find the frame and hard top for the bimini? I am assuming that my existing frame will be of no use with a hard top.
-Did the PDQ factory build them or did they come from a supplier who might still be in business?
- If anyone happens to have an extra hardtop lying around the yard and getting in the way, we need to talk.
- Margaret plans to make an enclosure for the new bimini using Sunbrella and plastic windows from Sailrite. If anyone has "been there and done that" we would like to hear
from you.

Many thanks.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
philiprmcgovern@gmail.com
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Re: Hard top bimini for older PDQ36?

Post by Marc Gershel »

I have a 1993 PDQ36, that I've had since 1997. At the time, the hardtop was available as an after-market add-on. I procrastinated, and in 2004 I tried to order one, but they were no longer available. So, I decided to build one. I had a welded framework built, but instead of a hard f/g top I covered it with Stamoid. My reason was mainly cost. The entire project with front and side sratataglas, cost $1900. I,m very happy with the way it turned out, but if I ever have to replace the Stamoid top, I would seriously consider a lightweight hardtop.
Marc
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I, too would like to add a hard bimini to Page 83, the World's fattest PDQ, but I would like to have a clear view of the main and hatches to hoist the engines through. I'm pretty sure that a mainsheet traveller would overstress a lightly built bimini.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Marc and Sandy:

Thanks for your help. I'm sorry -- but not surprised -- to learn that the fiberglass top is no longer available. I wonder, though, if there might be a way to replace the soft vinyl cover over my existing frame (three bows and very sturdy looking) with some sort of rigid "fiberglass like" material. Any thoughts?

I just did a quick Google on Stamoid and it doesn't look all that different from what we now have. From the looks of my frame, any rigid covering would need to be "bent" or formed along its length as well as its width and I don't see a way to do this.

I was also concerned about the ability of any new top to support the track, so it may need to stay where it is. Our boom is about two feet longer than standard and that just makes the problem worse. I have seen the "factory" hard tops on other PDQ's and they look very strong and well-built. I'm not sure that something I put together would be as strong.

Unless someone else has a better idea, we may just need to replace our worn out soft vinyl with some Sunbrella or Stamoid, add some new windows and call it a day.

Thanks again.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

I'm afraid you're right, Phil, but lets keep looking.
However, it is nice to put the top down and enjoy a nice day. Or hoist an engine with a halyard.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Just a note on the Stamoid. It's very strong and does not stretch, I mean never. Anything made from it must fit perfectly.
I'll try to get a picture posted, but I'm not too good at doing that.
Marc
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Hi, Mark:

If you get a chance, a photo would be great. OTOH, maybe I can get my hands on a sample of the stuff somehow. I'm assuming that it's a cousin of Sunbrealla and can be sewn. If so, I'd be curious to know why you chose it over Sunbrella. Also, are you happy with it? I guess the lack of stretch doesn't bother me too much. Should it? Thanks for your help.

Phil
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Phil,

Look under PDQ 36, subject "Stack Pack", There is a discussion by 36041 about building a hardtop. First post is quoted.
maxicrom wrote:Tom,

Thanks for the info... it really looks likes you did a good job. Good luck with the foot, I just had my shoulder done and am going stir crazy as well.

Btw: Looking at Dream Catcher - It looks like you have a hard top - are your windows hard or Eisenglass? Our Bimini is on it's last round so I'm thinking of going to a hard top - and always looking at ideas.

Update: Looking closer I see it is the aft deck of the cruiser behind yours - jokes on me :D .

8) Mike
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Stamoid is a whole different animal than Sunbrella. If you are looking for waterproof vs water resistant then Seamark might be one choice. Also there is a" hard" bimini on the market check out http://www.wavestopper.net/ . Any good canvas person should be able to adapt either to accommodate solar panels mounted on your existing frame without leakage. I have one of the early hard bimini and love it but have decided that mounting the traveler on it would not be cost effective so when I get roundtuit and build a seat/davit like the newer models I'll just tell passengers to watch their legs.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Sandy,

My Bimini has about another year or so left in it - rather than replace it I'll be building a lightweight fibreglass hard top. My eisenglass has a few more years left so I'll design the top with an edge that will be able to attach the same style curtains. Once the form is built it should not be hard to do a second top (I figure you have enough on your plate now). Next winter I'll build a PVC frame over my bimini with shrink wrap to protect it - then work on the new top over the summer. The aft posts on my Bimini are right in the way of the winch handles so it will be an improvement to mount the new top frame forward of the winches. At some point I'd like to incorporate the top hard top frame to brace to a lightweight dinghy arch and move the traveler up and out of the way and be able to shade the cockpit as needed.

But not this year,

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
MagicDragon
skipper
skipper

Post by MagicDragon »

Info from Chris at Live Antares within the last year, when we inquired about retrofitting a hard top on hull #54:

The deck must be reinforced in specific ways to facilitate a hard top. They further added that these changes would be nigh to impossible to retrofit. Suggestions involved buying "beefier" supports for the bimini and staying with canvas cover and eisenglass windows, and mounting solar panels to the stronger supports. Moving traveler up top was not recommended.
http://www.MagicDragonPDQ.com
Angela Barbati
S/V Magic Dragon 36054
near Cleveland, OH
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Thanks, guys. This hard bimini conversion is sounding more and more like a very bad idea and I can't say that I'm surprised. Better to find out now than halfway though the project after spending who knows how many boat units.

I guess we'll just recover the existing frames with some sort of waterproof fabric and "glass" windows and let it go at that. Sailrite should be able to supply what we need to do that.

I do appreciate the input.

Phil
s/v Sunshine
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Phil,

Look at the post I made about Tom & Amy on Dream Catcher (36041). They built a very acceptable hardtop using existing frames, which I intend to duplicate. It is under the "Stack Pack " post.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Just a few comments,

I would check with them for some more detailed photos of the actual hard top frame. From past experience I know that I would want to brace any of the new top mounting points on the cabin top most likely by through bolting mount pads (possibly mahogany or hardwood). In high winds a bimini is designed to shred off where a hard top could do serious damage if poorly mounted. For my needs I would want something strong enough to lean on and support solar panels but not necessarily walk on to keep the upper weight down. I would think that the support frame would need to be at least 1" tubing welded at the top to provide support for the hard top rather than the top providing the structure points for the mounts. There are a number of ways to use lightweight structural tubing to provide lateral support for large fibreglass spans.

MB
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

my own built bimini.
Attachments
100_0550[1] 2.gif
100_0550[1] 2.gif (210.21 KiB) Viewed 18437 times