Starting from House Batteries

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Starting from House Batteries

Post by SecondWind »

We have hull #40, a 36 LRC with diesels, which is wired differently than those with outboards. Our House bank is under the starboard side of the central settee (4 golf cart batteries) and our engine batteries are in the port locker, where most have an outboard. Both sets of batteries have galvanic isolators and each has a separate off-1-2-both switch. The 1 and 2 positions on the starting batteries feed the port or starboard engine respectively, with both feeding both. Our wiring diagram suggests that we can feed the house battery power to the starting batteries (if we have a problem with them) via a simple switch. Our dilemma is HOW? I know that we can jumper from one bank to another with long cables, but that is not the answer I am looking for. It appears, according to our wiring diagram, that we can do this by setting switches. HELP !!!! James, any ideas, or am I filling in something that is not there?
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Starting from House Batteries

Post by James Power »

Hey Terry, I was the "new guy" when your boat was built, 16 odd years ago. From what I can remember, as you say you can combine the two engine batteries for starting via switches. As far as combining the engine starts and the house bank, if it is possible there has to be cabling and a switch between the banks. Check under the helm in the interior locker for a switch. Also check that the house bank under the stbd settee vents the hydrogen gas effectively. James
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Thanks James,

I checked the locker under the helm and there is only a galvanic isolator and the master fuse block- no switches. I do keep a large set of cables onboard, so emergency power from the house bank is no big deal. I think our wiring diagram is probably incorrect. Venting the under-settee batteries has always been a concern, and we do check that the seals and cover vent hose are always properly connected sonce ot would vent to an area with high electrical activity.

(P.S Are you and Jackie still active with the Power Squadron? Bob and I are now 20 year members-that life membership is coming up fast.)
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Terry, sounds like your on the right track, the wiring schematic may be different then your actual electrical set up. After finishing the Power Squadron courses in the mid 70's, I let my membership lapse but every time I do a running D.R. I think of the course. James