Convection Oven installed

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Convection Oven installed

Post by eepstein »

Here is the short summary of the installation of our new convection oven in Desert star. Bonnie does a lot of baking and wanted an oven - which Desert Star does not have. We looked at all the options from marine stores, but Bonnie, owning a kitchen design company would not be satisfied with the typical oven. So she found a caterers convection oven that is meant for a catering truck or to be portable for a caterer to take to an event. We thought it might fit under the stove, but it did not. Eventually we located the only place - the life jacket locker on the bridge deck. We came up with a stainless steel sleeve that would fit in the locker (assuming I cut a larger opening). The only issue was that the bulkhead face was not perpendicular with the locker. We used a metal fabricator in Arlington, VA that does all kinds of kitchen work for us, and they made a perfect sleeve. The oven draws the upper limit of our Honda i2000 generator so we plug it directly in to the generator when not in a slip. Heat is dissipated through the top vent, into the cabin. Cutting a vent in the rear to the engine well would not be a good idea. We had to modify the back of the sleeve a bit, but it works great.
Oven in sleeve in life jacket locker
Copy of 102_6025.JPG (109.46 KiB) Viewed 4966 times
Attachments
Copy of 102_6026.JPG (108.45 KiB) Viewed 4963 times
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Convection Oven installed

Post by duetto »

hi eric,

what are the dimensions of the oven? nice looking installation.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Re: Convection Oven installed

Post by eepstein »

The oven is 19"w x 14"h x 21"deep. The sleeve we had made is 19.25"w x 19.25"h. We added the vent on top to allow heat to escape from the back and top of the oven which do get hot. The sides and bottom of the oven don't get hot at all. Inside the space, the 24" depth is not perpendicular to the front as the locker's left side goes in at a slight angle.

To compensate, we have only a top and bottom of the sleeve and the left side angles in about 15 degrees. I had thought about an fully enclosed insert instead of a sleeve, but figured that the open back would help displace heat a bit more. But in retrospect, a fully enclosed insert that angled properly might give more environmental protection to the oven.

I have seen a few convection-microwave combination unit is out there, so there are quite a few options. Ours is only a very good convection oven (not microwave combo). Its actually better than the one in my house.

Hope this helps.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD