Corrosion On PDQ Mast, Boom and Crossbeam

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Huggi21
deckhand
deckhand

Corrosion On PDQ Mast, Boom and Crossbeam

Post by Huggi21 »

Hi , Iam looking at purchasing A 1996 PDQ 32 ,but there is an extreme amount of corrosion on the boom , mast and crossbeam , has anybody experienced this before on there boats .If so did you get repaired or replaced and what where the problems and the costs involved.Can anybody tell me where to get new replacements from, any help is appreciated as i would really like to become a PDQ owner and cruiser.I believe its from stainless steel fittings attached to aluminium without any barrier being used creating a Galvanic reaction , any suggestions?
I have managed to upload some photo's to Flickr , can you take a look and let me have your comments.
Thanks Huggi21

http://www.flickr.com/photos/huggi21/
admiral
admiral

Re: Corrosion On PDQ Mast, Boom and Crossbeam

Post by 36041 »

Wow, thats pretty scary looking. I've never seen that before. Sorry I have nothing useful to say about treating it, but please keep the forum updated as to what you find out.

Regards,
Tom

www.tendervittles.net
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Post by carib sailor »

Use a surveyor.
Last edited by carib sailor on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Huggi21
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Huggi21 »

Thanks for all your comments,i am having a difficult time in getting replacements for Mast, Boom and Crossbeam .has anybody ever had to replace these items and where did you get them from, i contacted Seldon Spars who made the originals but they have not replied.Any help would be appreciated as i am a little wary in case there is more problems under the corrosion.
Huggi21
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Huggi21 »

Thanks guys, i contacted Offshore Spars, ( Mike ,very helpful ) he tells me the major problem to get the exact size replacement , is that few a years ago they all used one extruding company to produce their tubes even though they all had different proprietary shapes. That extruding company is now closed and with that all of their dies were gone.
Also the transport costs from are very expensive and the probability of the mast arriving undamaged are slim. Even with having to package the mast and crossbeam in a wood crate the chances of no damage are slight.
So it seems the only option at the moment is to refurbish the existing components. At the moment i have rough estimate of around $10000 if i can get the boat to the yard.
As far as the reaction on the crossbeam , it seems to be because of the slides holding the trampoline on are made of Brass and they are reacting with the aluminium , any body seen this before.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Welcome to our PDQ family, bot PLEASE, is it necessary to post the same info to every forum?
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Huggi21
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Huggi21 »

SecondWind wrote:Welcome to our PDQ family, bot PLEASE, is it necessary to post the same info to every forum?
What is your problem as you can see there are other owners who only look at certain forums,i am trying to get as much advice as i can !