Rudder assembly

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Rudder assembly

Post by Cat Tales »

I am working on removing the couplings that attach to the rudder stock. They have a bit of galvanic corrion on them, making removal a bear. Our starboard Whitlock rudder coupling is slightly different than the port side. Both have four bolts for the coupling that surround the rudder shaft. The starboard side has a pin on the inside of the rear coupling that aligns the rudder. But the port side has a Phillips head screw that seems to be in place of the pin on the rear side of the coupling. Does anyone know what this screw is attached to? I can turn it, but can't seem to get it out of the coupling.

What tricks has anyone else used to break apart the corroded couplings? Out starboard side was removed a few years ago with a lot of patient hours and plenty of wedges. I lubed it up with TefGel, which has held up. But the port side is not budging.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Rudder assembly

Post by Page 83 »

This trick has got to be one of the most awkward and painful solutions ever offered. Alternate heating and cooling the aluminum/stainless joint with a heat gun and an ice cube. After a couple of cycles try a penetrating oil after drying out with heat. Repeat. Don't use extreme measures such as a torch and dry ice because you can crack the aluminum.

Don't say I didn't warn you! :roll:
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Bacchagato
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Rudder assembly

Post by Bacchagato »

Hey Cat Tales
We did that job last year, and I don't have enough patience for the hot/cold technique, especially when laying with your head in that locker! 10 careful minutes with a cutoff wheel and angle grinder got them apart, and even then the hex head bolts wouldn't come out. Took everything to the local machine shop where they drilled out the debris and tapped new threads one size up. Since we're trying to avoid a repeat, I had all the pieces sandblasted, used the AWLGRIP (?) AlumiPrep system and coated everything with WEST Epoxy & graphite (except the inside collars where they clamp to rudder post). On the plus side, nothing sticks to the steering quadrant or slave tiller now... on the downside, there's probably corrosion happening underneath that we can't see.
Good luck with a most unenjoyable job.
Morgan & Bonnie
Bacchagato
Bacchagato