Secret Starboard Cable Chase

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
admiral
admiral

Secret Starboard Cable Chase

Post by 36041 »

Ok, I give up. I can't find the elusive cable chase mentioned in several other posts that is supposed to live just above the steps on the starboard side. I've looked from inside the factory inverter mounting area as well as from under the sink in the head, but to no avail. Short of pulling out the entire navigation station desk, I'm not sure where else to look.

Oh guru's of all things PDQ, I pray to you for guidance! Do not forsake me in my hour of need. My high power wifi cable and his friend the 3G amplifier humbly beg for your assistance.

(Ok, so we watched Angels and Demons last night and now all things feel much cooler when they are Catholic and over blown)

Thanks guys,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Re: Secret Starboard Cable Chase

Post by maxicrom »

Tom,

The channel runs from the battery charger cabinet under the floor and exits behind the nav station at floor level. It runs about center line of the std. side of the settee bench - about 18" back from the step on ours (we have a 1991 model). If you're lucky there are still some pull lines left in the channel - be sure to pull them back through if you use them otherwise you'll have to fish something across which is no fun on our model. It's pretty tight but works great.

Hope this helps you out...

Mike 8)
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Okay Tom, the SECRET secret cable chase runs under the steps down to the starboard hull, but it will not reveal itself to you until you sacrifice a chicken (either in a deep fat frier or a rotiserie grill) and generously spread the internal organs over the water beneath the vessel at midnight.

Having performed the above, you must anoint yourself with certain courage-augmenting beverages, surgically excise the nav table shell, and, from a prayerful attitude (as in on your knees) peering down in the space under the nav table you will come to understand the way of the hidden mysteries involves certain as yet unopened apertures between the step molding and the hull. Likewise you must peer heavenward from a humbly low viewpoint, up the skirts of the ply bulkhead between the salon and the battery / inverter compartment immediately above the first step. If you heart is pure, you will perceive a narrow gap that opens to the aforesaid compartment, sufficient to pass, with earnest effort and certain naturally forthcoming incantations, a moderately sized molded cable end. All that remains are but two options: remove the step molding entirely, and pass the cables through whatever space exists between it and the hull, or drill a few holes. I took a bunch of cables down from the helm, to the outboard side of the vertical hatch, through the gap under the bulkhead facing, through a hole in the top of the first step down from saolon level, across and through a second hole in the side of the step, then up a bit and into side of the aft face of the interior shell leading behind the nav station shell. You can go under the nav station and through the internal bulkhead under the pole to the forward genoa track end to use a really good sized void between the nav table and the little cabinet next to the stateroom door. If you open that up you can actually see the water level in the water tank!

If I ever find the time to write it up, I'll post pictures of the whole process, including a classy little mold for a fiberglass cover to hide the cables to and from the step.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Help me Obie-Wan-Kenobie, your my only hope !!!
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Tom,

Ours runs the same route as that on Maxicrom. Alas, we have a removable floorboard section there. Since you are the next hull number it is likely there. May the Force be with you. (We have so many wire that we could not fit a hair in that space.)
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

The SECRET secret wiring chase is reserved for those of us whose secret (lowercase) under floor chase is so full the cover pops open when we pump a single extra ELECTRON through it, and need another route.

It doesn't take too much more wiring to clog the space around the steering chain, either, so for those looking for another route to the upper helm instrument area, try following the engine shift cables.

When I put in the Garmin Radar and the Airmar PB200 masthead weather instrument I excecded the capacity of the nice wood cover between the mast base and the back of the settee. I'm either going to try to match that piece or replace them both with some square plastic fence stakes from Home Depot.

Terry, you may sell Second Wind, but you MUST NOT abandon us here. There are too few original members left to perform the irreplaceable function of organizational memory!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Sandy,

I could not possibly abandon you all. I have too many friends here that still own PDQ's. As much as we hate to sell her, the time appears right for us :cry: .
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind