Steering cable replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
alan kayser
deckhand
deckhand

Steering cable replacement

Post by alan kayser »

I just completed steering cable replacement and wanted to share some of the difficulties I encountered, but first thank you to Sandy Daugherty for the information on his post, it was very helpful.
I spoke to Chip Cooper at Lewmar. He referred me to Florida Rigging and Hydraulics. They are the Lewmar distriubter in Florida. Peter Linwick was very helpful, as he had replaced several PDQ Whitlock steering systems. He had me E-mail a photo of the steering quadrant for his opinion. It turned out he just recommended replacing conduit, conduit connectors, 7mm cable, and cable clamps. The old clamps only fit the 6mm wire that I had. Also the old conduit connectors which I was able to remove won't fit the larger outside dia. of the new blue conduit.
The reason I was changing my cables was that the red conduit had been breached at some time in the motor area, and then salt water exploded the steel inner liner. Removal was easy, because both conduits broke in half in the motor area. Just had to clean up the rust. Upon inspection of my old cables showed them to be in ok condition, but this couldn't be kown with out removal.
The first problem I had was cutting conduit. First with hack saw, then sawsall, finally a die grinder did a good job. I cut just to the center plastic and cut plastic with a knife. Second problem was the new conduit threaded connection was larger than origional. I opened them up with a 3/4" unibit. Third problem, I put conduit connectors on conduit first, and damaged the threads inserting into hole, because the threads damage easly. I cleaned up threads and installed connectors.THEN pushed conduit into connector and secured. All works well and looks better than new.
Peter Linwick can be reached at Florida Rigging and Hydrolics phone 772-221-8692, E-mail pete@rigginghydrolics.com
One last thing, when I wasn't liking the looks of my steering I decided to try the emergency tiller. Turns out this was a good idea because the weld broke with minium pressure. The weld had looked good, but had no penetration. I had to have it properly welded.
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Re: Steering cable replacement

Post by maxicrom »

Did you have to remove any of the mounted (through bolted) sections of the quadrant or associated parts? I have a couple of areas that the aluminum has corroded and broken - since we are only doing basically day sailing and it is still working OK I've opted for the next long yard stay to tackle this. I really appreciate the information as our red plastic cable housing has expanded and needs to be replaced as well - cable still looks OK. The one broken piece that we have is bolted down (where the cable enters the track) and I'm thinking my only access will be to install a Py-Hi port to get to secure the bolts - is there any chance that they are captive and mounted? :shock:

This is great stuff info, for us I figure it will be a major undertaking and much easier to do in the yard.

Mike 8)
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
alan kayser
deckhand
deckhand

Re: Steering cable replacement

Post by alan kayser »

I didn't have to remove the tangential unit as mine looked good. I did look carefully at that area and was thinking, I hope the nuts holding the unit are molded in some how. I would call Pete at Florida Rigging and Hydraulics. He has done that job and he doesn't mind sharing information. It would be good information for future referance to post.
I did the cable job with the boat in the water and that was no problem. It was just a little miserable as temperature and humidity were high. Good luck with your replacement.