auto helm

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
wake up
1st mate
1st mate

auto helm

Post by wake up »

Anyone tried a smart pilot X5, thought about going to hydraulic using the guideline on pdq36.com but it looks like a lot of work. This smart pilot looks like a real quick install. ( Hopefully that comment won't come back and haunt me).

regards
Paul
Steel Sails 36067
admiral
admiral

Re: auto helm

Post by 36041 »

Not sure about the X5, but for the price, why not go with the Autohelm ST4000 plus series that most of our boats came standard with? Ours is sitting on 45,000 miles and with the exception of 3 belt swaps is still going strong. Just curious, not casting judgments.....

Regards,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
wake up
1st mate
1st mate

Post by wake up »

Just figured i'd try the "latest and greatest". I ordered it and will post the results. My old 4000 kept losing heading and going to standby. Anything electronic i think its better to buy new than pay someone to trouble shoot it. Of course if its something you can do yourself then its different.
regards
Paul
Steel Sail
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

I installed the X5 on Phenix (32007) last month. It is working great, seems to keep course about the same as the ST4000 it replaced. A few bells and whistles like the display being able to display lots of info from other systems on the boat (COG, VMG,Wind, etc.) You will want to do a proper sea-calibration in calm water to get everything set, then I adjusted the damping to make it far less sensitive. I use auto mainly while motoring.

Added Sept 21, 2009:
As the wheel is bulkhead mounted, I needed to buy the "bulkhead fitting kit (Raymarine part number E15017)" as the pin that protrudes from the bulkhead for the old ST4000 unit is not in the same place, nor of the same length, as the X-5 requires. Wish I would have known this before installing, as I needed to wait 2 weeks for West Marine Chicago to get the bulkhead fitting kit. But installing it was a snap and everything is good now.

I did not install a new fuxgate, I just used the one from the ST4000, it works fine.
--
wake up
1st mate
1st mate

Post by wake up »

All installed and wired. Only problem was the holes for the old bracket don't match the new one. about 1/2 " off. Don't know if the wheel diameter is slightly different or if the 4000 was fitted a little tight. Took around 3 hours plus an hour to put all the cabinetry back. ( New Fluxgate installed too)
Hope to get it calibrated later this week.

regards
Steel Sails