Rebedding a Portlight

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
admiral
admiral

Rebedding a Portlight

Post by 36041 »

All,

I found two tiny pinholes in the bottom of the frame on the port side, forward, salon, side window that are allowing a lot of water in during periods of heavy rain. I assume this means I need to re-bed the frame, but I'm looking for advice from anyone who has done this previously. Anything I should be looking out for? Can you recommend a sealant product? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tom

www.tendervittles.net
Sunshine
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Rebedding a Portlight

Post by Sunshine »

Tom,

I've used Boatlife (I forget which compound, but know it's not the polysulfide) with good success. it involves a lot of taping, inside and outside, on the boat and the portlight. The taping really helps with the cleanup. I have the older 34 model and all of the portlights are fixed plexiglass. I rebedded all of them them two years ago. I've had to rebed two or three since then. Probably because the seal breaks loose due to the expansion/contraction of the plexiglass. I'm surprised that I haven't had to rebed more of them. I need to rebed one of them for the third time. I'm going to try butyl. I bought a roll that is two inches wide by 1/8th inch thick. I'm expecting it to be less time consuming because the taping won't be necessary.

Bill
Bill and Anna Marie
S/V "Sunshine" PDQ 34002
West Creek, NJ