New Sails for our PDQ 36

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
eepstein
admiral
admiral

New Sails for our PDQ 36

Post by eepstein »

I am about to purchase new sails for our PDQ 36. I had the original main fixed - which I blew out a year ago, but its not in the best shape. I have a 100% jib, but miss the extra power with a Genoa.

So far I have gotten 5 quotes in the Annapolis area. I started with a main for $3600 and a Geona for $3100, both from 6.5 oz fabric. I ended up with heavier fabrics (7.5 Genny and 8.02 Main) and a total price of $4100 for both, installed, with full battons, lots of extras, and custom measured for maximum size via Neil Pryde. (They have a local measurer and repair person in Annapolis, who also fixed my A-Sym for a very resonable price.)

I sure got a lot of conflicting advice during the search. From light to heavy fabric recommendations, various cuts and options. Once loft even recommended 5.5 oz Dacron, which seems very light for a cat.

Neil Pryde's guy (Bruce Empey) came to the boat to measure, and found my PDQ36 could hold a 143% Geona max with the genoa car locations, custom positioned a foam luff furling point at the minimum car track position, and was able to improve the main by changing the boom angle, adding to the roach and upping the second reef point (and moving the associated batten) to give better heavy weather performance.

Also - He mentioned that the specifications in his database did not match my specific boat - which has no spreaders. Which figures as the two mains other than mine that I tried, do not fit the boat correctly.

I already bounced this off of Sandy, and he liked the final choice, but thought I would post it to see if anyone else knew if I missed anything.

Thanks in advance for advice and ideas.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Re: New Sails for our PDQ 36

Post by maxicrom »

I've heard that Hong Kong sails have a good reputation and are very reasonable.

http://www.hksailmakers.com/

If you have your measurements it might be worth checking out. I have a few friends that have used them in the past and were very pleased with the product (it might give you a little bargaining power with the local guys :D )

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

They were $150 more and needed me to measure it myself. The local service made this one better if if was a bit more - rather than less...
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Good stuff,

And great to know that we can do better locally, good luck with your new sails...

Mike & Linda