Windward or Leeward engine when motor sailing

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Windward or Leeward engine when motor sailing

Post by eepstein »

I just came back from 10 days sailing on our PDQ 36. When motor sailing, I had always thought its best to run the windward engine when motor sailing in moderate wind to get some speed, but keep the boat from rounding up and to keep load off of the auto pilot.

I noticed on part of the trip that running the leeward engine helped to reduce the current and drift to leeward and let us point a bit better. I did not necessarily notice a change in work-effort on the auto pilot, but the winds were up and I was not really trying for speed, but to reduce drift and point better to make a destination.

I did not really test to see what ways worked better in what situation, I just kinda used the engine that seemed to make sense. Now that I think about it, I am not sure there is a difference, or a best way. Thus, I thought I'd ask.

I did a quick search but not see this topic on the site. Any opinion(s) on which engine is best, or if a certain one is best in a certain situation? Or that is does not matter?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: Windward or Leeward engine when motor sailing

Post by thinwater »

At least on the 32, I never saw the tendancy for the boat to round-up on autopilot when motor sailing; the engine gives enough steady speed to prevent that. Yes, the pointing was better using the leeward engine.

My only sustained expereince doing this was a long beat up the Delaware in crappy conditions after my roller furler failed. We used the leeward angine and it worked well.

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/search?q=furler
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

We have a PDQ 36 LRC, so the props are further aft & outboard from the outboard style. However,
I've always noticed a distinct tendency to turn opposite whichever engine is on. This may very
well make some difference over a trip.

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Post by philiprmcgovern »

In the past, we have nearly always used the starboard engine since that's the one that's plumbed into the water heater tank.

Now, y'all have me wondering whether that's such a great idea. Maybe we need to use the port engine more and pay better attention to the movement of the boat and the effect on the autopilot.

BTW, on average, when we run both engines, we seem to gain only about one knot versus running one engine -- hardly worth it.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
36036 LRC