Excel hot water heater

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Excel hot water heater

Post by jimlong »

Hi all, I'm trying to install an Excel water heater and would like to Tee off of the 20 lb. tank in the aft port locker that supplies the range or cook top in the galley. I was told by someone that the regulator going to the cook top was high pressure and that this would not work for the water heater as it would need to be a low pressure regulator and that I would have to supply it separately from another bottle....thoughts?
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Re: Excel hot water heater

Post by eepstein »

Hi Jim; Here is the post from Ray.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1739&p=5466&hilit= ... ater#p5466

Hope it helps.

Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

FWIW I installed it tee'd off of the stove line. My '32 has a propane locker in the bow seat, the regulator and tee are in there. I put the Excell water heater in the starboard bow compartment right above the blackwater tank. Works great but does show some surface rust. Make sure you flow water through it periodically even if you don't need hot-water otherwise the water in the lines gets nasty.

Tom
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

Eric, Thanks for the quick reply and I read Ray Reuter's article and Phil Mcgovern asked the same question about wether or not you could tee off of the propane bottle that supplies the stove yet no one replied. I'm hoping someone out there has run into this problem. If I have to run a separate bottle and line then no problem but seems like it would be a whole lot easier to just tee off of the bottle that supplies the stove.

Tom, Thanks for the input and tips regarding water flow. I plan to mount mine in the shower similar to how Ray mounted his although I'm sure it will be subject to rust there as well. The guy that told me I needed separate bottles with high & low pressure regulators worked at a propane store so I'm getting conflicting messages.
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Jim,

If memory serves, the stove, oven and water heater were supplied after the regulator. The only appliance plumbed with unregulated gas were some of the BBQ's that had there own regulators on the unit. If working on the LPG system, its a good time to check for leaks and make sure things are in good shape.

Hope this helps. James
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

Thanks James, so what I'm hearing is that you can just "T" off of the galley propane bottle and run a line over to the shower for the hot water heater using the same regulator......this seems to be the general consensus.
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

Thanks for the posts everyone and as it turns out the guy at the propane store thought I was going to be using a full size stove and hot water heater and recommended that I use two different tanks and regulators until I brought the small Excel hot water unit down to him and then he said it was no problem to run both off of the single bottle.