Synthetic Rigging

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
admiral
admiral

Synthetic Rigging

Post by 36041 »

All,

I am curious if anyone out there has made use of any of the new synthetic rigging products. I recently met a fellow at the Oriental town dock who had a 40 foot home built cat and he had replaced all his standing rigging with a product called Dynex Dux.

His rig was quite a bit bigger than mine, but the diameter of the line he was using was actually smaller than our 1 x 19. He had a small 3 foot length he let me have and I have to say it's pretty impressive. It weighs 1/5 what our comparable stainless steel stuff does, which in turn would reduce weight aloft by almost 40 pounds. If the manufacturer claims are to be believed it has almost twice the breaking strength as well.

I am thinking of order enough to replace my lifelines (they need it) and see how the stuff holds up, but I need to start planning on swapping out our standing rigging before too long, so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any experience with this stuff. As always, any insight is appreciated.

Regards,
Tom
www.tendervittles.net
jak430
skipper
skipper

Re: Synthetic Rigging

Post by jak430 »

I just did the lifelines with synthetic on our new 32 and am very happy with the results. On our first boat, a Corsair trimaran I did the shrouds and had a big weight savings.
Check out this website.
http://www.colligomarine.com/
John is pleasure to work with.
Good luck.
John King
'DreamCatcher' PDQ32
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Keep an eye on the UV degradation. It may be all right, but polymers do have some problems that direction.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Lyman Morse replaced all the lifelines on Siesta before we bought her. They added some slipery white tape to areas of potential abrasion (stanchion eyes, contanct with standing rigging, etc.) I don't know for sure what they used. but it's gray and braided. The splices are long and brummeled. What is most interesting are the tensioners that look like miniature wooden blocks, in aluminum, that give you a 6:1 advantage and can be just tied. Easy to adjust and not limited to three inches of threaded jewelry for adjustment. I think LM used a larger diameter just for comfort. They just don't stretch.

I made it 500+ miles from Mid-Coast Maine to Ananpolis without a scratch until the last four feet of the trip, when a too-big fender caught a piling and bent a stanchion it was tied near. Luckily, Bacon's had an almost identical stanchion on sale. I should have done the math; twenty-four foot beam plus two 14" fenders will not fit in a twenty-five foot slip without SOMETHING going "sproing".

Tom, please pm me your blog site; I miss my occasional visit. We will be in the Exumas in November.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We replaced our lifelines with Amsteel back in May. Some pics, details and instructions can be found on our blog:

http://www.zerotocruising.com/?p=5140

Mike