Dinghy davits dimensions?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Dinghy davits dimensions?

Post by philiprmcgovern »

We need to replace Sunshine's (PDQ 36) factory-installed dinghy davits and I'd like to have them built here in Indiana before we return to the boat in November and set sail for Mexico and Belize.

Since the boat is in Florida and since I don't know the dimensions of the davits, I wonder if anyone could help me with the measurements. Specifically, I need to know the vertical and horizontal lengths of the davit and the diameter of of the base that the davit sets in.

Also, if you happen to have a photo that shows your davits, that would give me something to show the shop that's going to make them for me.

The stock they showed me at the fabrication shop is very thick walled and it appears that it would support a Ford F-150, so I'm not going to bother with gussets. Also, I'm leaning toward stainless rather than aluminum despite the extra weight.

Any thoughts or suggestions in the dinghy davit area will also be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Re: Dinghy davits dimensions?

Post by eepstein »

Hi Phil;
I can measure mine this weekend and send you dimensions.
Talk soon,
Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Great! Thanks, Eric.

Phil
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Just wanted to chime in here. There is a difference in OD between tubing and pipe so if you happen to get pipe it may not fit your deck socket. I would still put the brace in as it is cheap while being fabricated but expensive to straighten the davit and then weld it in after the fact. I may be having a replacement davit system built similar to the bench seat arrangement on later models but modified to accept solar panels. What with the 30% tax credit the project seems doable. Unfortunately my timing and yours may not coincide otherwise you could take mine.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

That's a good point, Bob. It also occurred to me that they will need to weld a padeye on each davit as an attachment point for the dinghy block. While they're at it, them may as weld a couple of gussets on as well. It certainly can't hurt anything and may not add much to the total cost. Besides, those davits do take a beating. I normally leave the 15 hp outboard on the dink because it's such a PITA take it off and when the seas are up and everything is swinging and twising it gets ugly back there.

I haven't gotten an estimate from the fabricator yet, so you might keep me in mind for your hand-me-downs in case the estimate is a bigger shock than I expect it to be. We'll be back on the boat in Tampa Bay in early November and hope to leave for the Yucatan in early December. If we don't get the davits built here in Indiana and yours aren't available then, we might decide to wait and see if we can get them done cheaper in Mexico. At any rate, please let me know before you toss yours in the dumpster.

Yes, this does seem to be a good time to invest in more solar panels. The prices are coming down and Uncle is chipping in 30% of the cost. Such a deal!

Take care,

Phil
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Dinghy davits dimensions? (30% tax credit?)

Post by GaryWizard »

I don't mean to be hijacking this thread - but my ears perked up when Phil mentioned something about a 30% tax credit?
Can you explain a bit more or point me to some info?

Thanks - Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

There is a 30% tax credit for installing solar panels at your PRIMARY residence. I found it on Google.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

The government site doesn't seem to distinguish http://www.energy.gov/taxbreaks.htm so I guess I'll get the info from the tax accountant when I sit with him. I mentioned it as an aside during a conversation and he didn't object. Maybe he wasn't paying full attention.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Bob etal:

Here's the applicable IRS form with instructions: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5695.pdf

As you can see in the instructions, it refers to your "main home" which it defines as "generally the place where you live most of the time" -- whatever that means. As my old tax prof in law school told us, "When in doubt, take it out. Just don't be a pig about it."

If you aren't in doubt, you just need to spend a little more time on your boat.

Phil
s/v Sunshine
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

One more excuse to sell the house and move aboard. Thanks Phil.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

Hi Phil;

I have to apologize. I started measuring and got distracted at the GAM. I did not remember until on the way home. I will be back out there next week and will get them. Sorry about that.

On the bright side, I did remember the get all the table parts together for you. Only a year late. Will you be in the area for Oct 8th's party? If not I can mail them.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Eric:

Actually, that's more good news than bad news. I have become disenchanted with my metal fabricator here (a serious lack of follow through on his part) and have decided to wait until we get back to the boat to deal with the davits in Florida. Besides, time is getting a little short since we plan to leave here on November 1 and have lots to do before then and, no, we won't have time to get up to your area after all.

Sooooo, all will be forgiven if you could find the time to ship the table to me at:

Philip R. McGovern
339 Highland Drive
Greenwood, IN 46142

Tel. 317-366-8083 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              317-366-8083      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

By all means, let us know the shipping cost (and how much you want for the table), and we'll get you paid pronto. We will also think kind thoughts about you every time we use the table.

Many thanks and best wishes.
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

I just got a quote on building an arch to hold solar panels and the dingy--- YIKES! $8800 plus installation for a simple 2 tube raked arch seems a little pricey to me. I seem to recall someone mentioning the bench seat purchased from the factory was about $1800 but it could have been a dream. Does anyone know who did the ss fabrication for PDQ? BTW for those who have the davit system you might want to check the hull to deck joint at the top of the steps. When one of the yard crew leaned on it I noticed the joint lift. I don't know if there are fasteners under the piece of starboard or if it was an adhesive joint but I thought I'd pass it on. I haven't had time to get back to the boat to investigate.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace