SSB - Antenna Location

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

SSB - Antenna Location

Post by GaryWizard »

I am about to embark on installing an SSB in Inspiration. After talking with Dave Kane & seeing his (now ex) 36, his
antenna mounting solution (outside stbd side stay) seems to make a lot of sense. Of course, everyone I talk with says
to use a backstay - which means the tuner is in the shower or head.

I'm interested in anyone who has installed an SSB & what you did for the antenna location. And any other advice that
you may care to impart.

Thanks.
Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
juanma
deckhand
deckhand

Re: SSB - Antenna Location

Post by juanma »

Hi Gary,

My setup is a bit different. I installed a 16' antenna (Digital Antenna 544-SSW) on the stern of the stbrd hull. The tuner (AT-140) is mounted a stern of the fridge unit under the seat. The first time I grounded the antenna, I used copper foil at the port hull bilge; since I have replaced the copper foil with the kiss-ssb ground plane counterpoise coiled under the floor with excellent results.

Juan.
s/v Albita PDQ-36 LRC
Juan
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We just installed a SSB radio in our 32.

http://www.zerotocruising.com/?p=6948

The antenna is the starboard side stay (we have no back stay). The job is not 100% complete though as the shroud still needs to be cut and an insulator added at the top (ouch!). The radio functions well as is though and I have received reports that our signal is strong and clear. The tuner is located in the coat closet right below the chainplate and we used the stainless rub rail as the ground.

Mike
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We have a rigger coming this morning to install the insulator in our shroud (antenna). Hopefully that will improve our radio even more. If anyone has any radio questions I recommend speaking to Bill Trayfors out of Washington, DC. Message me for Bill's contact info if you need it.
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

Mike - glad to hear that's working for you!

To update, I got a Dynaplate for the ground plane (since the boat is on the hard anyway), but have a question concerning the installation location. All the boats I've seen or read about installed their Dynaplate (or equivalent) on the bottom of the hull. Due to access problems, it would be MUCH simpler to mount the plate on the side of the hull - still well below the waterline. Logic tells me that if it's 100% below the water, any spot should be ok. The part of me that's worried about anything I'm not knowledgeable about says I should have that alternative location verified. :D

Any thoughts?

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Page 83 used the starboard backstay and the tuner mounted in the aft cockpit compartment, minimizing the distance to the antenna. I'm convined that the way to go for a counterpoise is th KISS-SSB, as discussed at http://forum.ssca.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11156 You can just leave it coiled up in the baggie it came in and avoid all that copper foil, dynaplate and voodoo stuff.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
leehenderson
deckhand
deckhand

Post by leehenderson »

I installed a SSB antenna in the starboard backstay in October when I replaced all the standing rigging. My PDQ is hull 14 and is going on 20 years old. I bought it new. I have an arch in back with solor panels and the tuner is under the panels. Another option is to locate the tuner in the aft lazeret. or even in the stering compartment. These all work fine.

If you are a Ham you can reach me on the Cruisers net 14.300 MHZ or the Spider net at 14.347 MHZ (0830 AM Eastern time) or the waterway net at 7.268 MHZ. My call sign on Brigadoon 2 is KJ4REK. Just call in and leave a message with the net

Lee Henderson
LHHenderson@embarqmail.com
Lee Henderson, Marco Island, FL