Sailmaker Recommendations 2010

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Sailmaker Recommendations 2010

Post by martincreek150 »

I saw posts about sailmakers Calvert and Triton on a 2008 thread. Anyone had more recent experiences with other sailmakers or Calvert or Triton? I've got Doyle, North and Ullman locally and I'm in the initial stages of contacting each of these. I'd prefer to work with a local sailmaker (with a direct line to Chineses lofts, probably), since I've never bought sails and could use some hands-on assistance (and someone to share the blame). Or, might I be likely to save big bucks going "mail order"?
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Re: Sailmaker Recommendations 2010

Post by eepstein »

I purchased new sails last spring from Niel Pryde. The Rep in Annapolis was quite knowledgeable and the sails are very well made. I can send you his info and what I paid if you'd like.

Eric
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

Post by windrush »

Hi Eric.
Our sails are showing their age as well. Could you also pm me your info. Thanks.
Bruce
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

H Bruce
The guy's name is Bruce Empey (443) 254-6980.
He is based out of Annapolis. Feel free to tell him I referred you.
Hope you are having great adventures.
Eric and Bonnie
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

While hauled out almost 5 yrs ago, I had Calvert measure my 36 for a new main & genoa. They also pulled the mast for re-wiring & replacement of all the standing rigging. The work was done acceptably well at what I thought was a reasonable cost. However...my new main fully raised is about a foot short of where it should go. I also had their "MackPack" sail bag to augment the lazy jacks. The bag is a GREAT improvement over the normal sailcover! However, after just a couple years, the bag was wearing very badly where the lazy jack lines chaffed against the sunbrella. I had a canvass shop put in reinforcing material at all the chaff areas & all is good again. I did feel that Mack should have been aware of the wear problem & could have added just a bit to make them a far better product. Finally, as an aside, 3 days after they removed all the standing rigging I called them and asked for the longest cable back so I had a spare and was told they had "already thrown them all out" ! Overall, my impression is that they are adequate sailmakers; Travis & Colin are very nice guys; but everything considered, I personally would look at others.

OTOH, as long as I'm sharing experiences, I first contacted Mack Sails at the Miami Boat Show. At that same show, I talked with the North rep at the same show and tried to impress upon him that I was absolutely going to buy a set of sails. He took all my contact info & I heard NOTHING from him.

Finally, I know Calvert very slightly as he was a member of MASF (Multi-hull Association of South Fla) although he didn't come to a lot of meetings. My understanding from other multi-hullers was that he made excellent sails - especially for racing.

Good Luck
Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

I had Ron Fernandez from Triton (Mississauga) make a new set of sails for Allezcat (36010) about 5 yrs ago. He did a great job at a reasonable cost.

Chet
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

My main and genoa from Calvert are coming up on 3 years old, still look new and have beautiful shape. They tweek easily with outhaul, halyard tension and traveller control thru a very wide range of conditions. I Specified that my exclusive use of these sails was cruising, and I feel I got exactly what I needed. I did my own measuring, and they fit [ahem] perfectly. They were not the cheapest or the most expensive, but they are a major expense; $4700 for both. Page 83 points higher, goes faster. I got a stack pack from UK Annapolis this year and love it. I expect these sails to last more than ten years because I take them down in the winter, have them cleaned and inspected and minor repairs done. A stitch in time saves $1489.58!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Sandy,

Whoa does you annual inspection/cleaning/repairs?
What is the average annual cost?

thanks,
Spencer
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

UK Annapolis. With 5 months storage for main, genoa and furling screecher it's been around $700 each year, depending on what kind of repairs are needed. Its a positive long term ROI. but it could be partially avoided if I had a place (and the energy) to wash, dry, and fold the sails and store them in household temperatures.

Of course, there would be more good times in that ROI if I just took the boat South every year.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026