Morse Control, new or repair?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Morse Control, new or repair?

Post by Lady of the Lake »

My port engine control will not return from idle position. I will first try to repair the Morse control box. If it is not repairable, a new one is $600. A few questions:

1. Is the control box on the PDQ36 (early 1990s) an MT-2 or MT-3? There is no part marking on the control box.
2. Do I really need such an expensive control box or is there a less expensive Morse until that will work?
3. Since Morse/Teleflex seems to have such bad customer service and part availability, what unit from another manufacturer could I substitute that will give the same functionality and will fit in the existing location?

Thanks,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Morse Control, new or repair?

Post by amytom »

Sam,

I spent yesterday helping Gordon (PDQ32 #2or3) put new engines in. His new engines required us to reverse the throttle direction on the controller which appeared to be a Yamaha brand product. It did take us awhile to figure out how to modify the unit but it felt much more solid than my Morse controller. Instead of being open inside it is completely housed inside it's frame.

Something to consider.

Tom
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I took mine apart and may have found parts to repair it. However, I would still like to know the model number of the Yamaha controller if anyone knows it. Not sure how long the Morse is going to last.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

It is the 704 Remote Control Box
Don Wilson