History, Make and Models of the 36.

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
pfam
deckhand
deckhand

Post by pfam »

Hi, I'm obviously new here. I looked around a bit and can't find much about the different makes and models of the 36. I would love to see some information about when one model changed to the next and what the basic changes were.
I believe the boat started out as the 34. Then there's the classic, the capella, LRC, mkII, mkII S-C, and mkIII, etc. Has anyone written a timeline of models and changes? I've been looking at the boats online and am just getting a bit confused.
Thanks for any help.
jP
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

Re: History, Make and Models of the 36.

Post by windrush »

Check out an old post "Original production run changes Question", found on this forum. Good luck and all the best.
pfam
deckhand
deckhand

Post by pfam »

Thanks for the clue as to look for that older posting. I was familiar with the sailing magazine review and was happy to read it, but unfortunately the article skims over the details in the changes. For instance, it mentions that the mkII came onto the market in 94' but then goes on to only include info regarding the LRC model. The details that Page 83 gave were nice. Oh well. I'm a little bit closer and have a bit better understanding. Thanks for your help.

jP
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Post by martincreek150 »

We researched and shopped for a few years. I found the English Web site "Multihull Maven" helpful. "Multihull Maven" breaks down the models, but them fails to fully define the evolution. However, it is worth a look.

Shopping for outboards or diesels with saildrives(LRC)? If you can reach a decision on that issue you'll cut the field in half. I believe that the LRC nomenclature refers exclusively to diesel models. Since I was shopping outboards, I was immediately able to narrow the field and move my focus away from the LRCs.
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Apparently there were a few "custom" versions built. For example our's a 91' 36 Classic with a single Yanmar diesel in the port hull - no propulsion Stbd. It handles fine once under way but in any kind of tight maneuvering was a beast. We added a 6HP Torqedo electric outboard STBD and now she handles fine for docking. We thought we had the only factory single diesel out there, but apparently there were a few others. We really like the dependability of the Yanmar and the folding prop provides excellent power forward and reverse burning about 1/2 GPH - with 30 gal we have approx. 60 hour running at 5-7KTs. Downside is that the 91' model is a little stern heavy on the Port side especially with a dinghy on the davits (not serious but enough to have about a 1/2" of water over the bottom step most of the time - the newer models have the bottom step molded higher up). We would like to add a hard-top like the later models - probably in the next year or so - with the additional weight it also makes the 39' extension kit a consideration.

Our model has a quarter berth over the diesel engine. When we were PDQ shopping we saw that there were a few minor design options, but for the most part the layouts the same. The railing designs on the later models are sturdier and the rear rail bench / davit / hardtop combination is nice. While shopping we looked at a LRC model and noticed that it had been carpeted over what appeared to be a plywood floor (might have been replaced by the owner). We really like the teak and holly flooring in our PDQ, and most of the models we looked at had it. I think the later models modified the companionway somewhat (ours is bi-fold).

Hope this helps and good luck,

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Several boats went back to the factory to be updated with newer things like head and front crossbar, further blurring the line between prices and features. You get what you pay for, which may include some things you don't think you want. Since PDQ never built a bad sailboat, in the big picture you can't go wrong. Just decide what you consider to be you minimum condition, and factor in on what you can do or have done to get it there.

Aword of caution: maintenance and upkeep never stop, but increase with age. You can't buy any boat that needs nothing for years to come.

This advice certainly won't help you pick out the bestest-ever boat to buy, it's only meant to help you balance the considerations involved.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026