Has anyone modified the nav-station for a seat?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Has anyone modified the nav-station for a seat?

Post by maxicrom »

I've been doing a fair amount of studying on board lately and my back is taking a beating from hunching over the pull down nav station desk. II the Max is a 1991 and under the STBD pilot berth (Nav-station bench) the area is open storage. I'm hesitant to do a major modifcation for this.

I was wondering if anyone has done any creative mounting of a seat or adjustable backrest.

Mike
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Has anyone modified the nav-station for a seat?

Post by SecondWind »

We had a seat on Second Wind.
103-0316_IMG.JPG
103-0316_IMG.JPG (224.72 KiB) Viewed 9210 times
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

We a similar pilot berth\bench combination with storage underneath - but after a few hours working leaning from the bench to the Nav-station table takes a toll. I'll get a better picture with the table top open - these shots only give an idea of the bench (STBD pilot berth)
Attachments
Aft view
Aft view
Buckaroo_PDQ36_STBD-Steps.jpg (31.43 KiB) Viewed 9189 times
Forward view - II the Max
Forward view - II the Max
Buckaroo_PDQ36_STBD..jpg (25.27 KiB) Viewed 9194 times
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

It appears that your set-up is far different from what we had. Perhaps a some sort of a slide out from the pilot berth with support legs would work.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

My boat came with a cusomized chart table that actually slides out about 2', and will hold a large NOAA chart laid out flat. The table is about 4" high, and will hold rolled charts underneath. I do not have a pilot berth. The entire starboard side is cabinets, with a funky seat that folds out fron a cabinet.
I have a difficult time posting pictures, but I'll try. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
When I first bought the boat, 13 years go, I fell in love with the chart table. Coming from a monohull with a small table, I was in heaven. So, what happens. I've never use it for a chart even once, but it makes a handy worktop.
Give me a coupla' days, and I'll try to post some pics.
Marc
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

SecondWind wrote:It appears that your set-up is far different from what we had. Perhaps a some sort of a slide out from the pilot berth with support legs would work.
That's kind of what I've been thinking as I have another year of classes - some type of sliding frame that mounts on the bench seat. The slide out table extension is another option. For plotting or short term work it's great, plenty of room and it closes to provide decent storage. For long periods the lip on the bench gets your thighs and the table top is just a bit too far from the seat - not to mention no back support.

Btw: Hopefully we will be replacing the Force 10 cozy cabin heater with our Force 10 dual ceramic tower that we kept from our old boat - one of the projects for this summer. The cozy works good, but withthe last few winters we are ready for a little extr heating.
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max