Rudders draging on hull

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
alan kayser
deckhand
deckhand

Rudders draging on hull

Post by alan kayser »

I have noticed that when I turn the wheel to starboard both rudders come in contact with the hull. Turning to port is fine with a little clearance. I just hauled the boat for bottom paint, and I was present for the in and out haul. I don't believe anything damaged the rudders at that time. Since this only happens when turning further than 45 degrees on the wheel, it could have been like this for awhile. Does anyone have any suggestions what might have caused this, and what the correct solution would be? I think I could loosen the clamp on the quadrant and drop the rudders down a little, but I don't know why this should be necessary.
Catatude 34008
Thanks Al
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Re: Rudders draging on hull

Post by Allezcat »

Al,

The only thing I can think of would be a grounding with the rudders in a turn (to strbd). You might try disconnecting the tie bar (or cables) to the non-quadrant rudder and see which rudder is binding when turned. If you can loosen the clamps on the affected rudder, I would drop it an inch and reclamp. Then sort it out the next time you haul out. Or bring it up here (Punta Gorda) and put it on my lift and we can see whats going on. If you do decide to drop a rudder, be sure to tie it off at the top so you don't "deep six" it.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
alan kayser
deckhand
deckhand

Post by alan kayser »

Chet, Thank you for the the information. That is what I will do, unfortunately both rudders are rubbing and I will have to do them both. Thank you also for the lift offer, but I think I will have it hauled again.
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Post by eepstein »

I bent both rudders hitting a dredge pipe. James Power fixed them. Basically we used a 'come along' and tow strap from the anchor roller to rudder. Made a 2x4 frame to protect the rudder and cranked it. It worked great. James also helped Sandy with his, which was bent differently.

Here is the link - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1632&p=5261#p5261 and I think there are others if you search 'bent rudder' on the forum.

Best of luck.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

You can also look at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2285 I posted a picture of straightening the rudder on my 32.
alan kayser
deckhand
deckhand

Post by alan kayser »

Thank you for sharing that information. I did actually try that approach as my rudder was only slighty bent. I ran a line from the rudder to the bow roller and to the winch. I was able move the rudder, but when released it went right back. I didn't feel confortable putting any more strain on that rig. So I decided to drop the rudder down 1/4 inch and all is good again.

Al
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Raise the rudder back to the original position when you try to straighten it again. Use the same trick, but pull it beyond straight, and slack the tension once or twice to check on its progress. Clamp the 2x4s to protect the thin sections of the blade, and put some thin plywood between the cable and the rudder. You might want to take the comealong cable thru a second sheave to double the mechanical advantage.

p.s. I wouldn't do it without James' help. :D

p.p.s. If the rudder is bent sideways, it may not parallel the other when the wheel is centered, creating some drag.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026