Yamaha Inproved Access

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
alan kayser
deckhand
deckhand

Yamaha Inproved Access

Post by alan kayser »

After 9 years of bruises and contortions servicing my out board motors, I decided to improve the access. I know PDQ has solved this sutition on later boats, but I had to deal with what I had. ( I can't stands no more)
1. I taped the opening to be cut with masking tape to get a nice cut. I cut out a piece 22 1/2" by 11".
2.I sanded clean the inside of opening appx. 8" all the way around.
3. I ripped a piece of 5/4 pressure treated decking 2" wide, and used the rounded side for a better looking finish.
4. Cut 3 pieces of the pressure treated to frame the inside, reducing the opening size by 1/2" on the 3 sides. Glue with contact adhesive and clamp.
5. I fiber glassed over the inside wood strips.
6. I picked up white plastic 2" wide x 1/4 " thick at Lowes. I think it was garage door molding section. I cut 3 pieces to frame the outside. Again 1/2" smaller than the opening. Also glue and clamp until cured.
7. Just slip in the piece cut out in step 1. It will be a very snug fit and after 1 1/2 years in use I haven't found the need for any additional fastenings.

I have photos, but file is too big to attach. I don't how to make them smaller, (if some can instruct me on that, I will post) or I can E-mail them if interested.

Catatude PDQ34008
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Re: Yamaha Inproved Access

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Hi Alan

If you email me the pics I will re-size them and upload them for you.

zero to cruising ATT gmail DOTT com

Mike
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Re: Yamaha Inproved Access

Post by mikeandrebecca »