Fresh water leaks wrecking our sole

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
RSVP
deckhand
deckhand

Fresh water leaks wrecking our sole

Post by RSVP »

We've been pulling our hair out trying to find out where our PDQ is leaking. Our brand new salon sole is turning black at the join on the port side of the entry door. The water has wicked down to the sole in the galley right at the entry to the aft cabin and also travels towards the starboard side and sits in the wire trough that traverses to the salon seat. We think it might be coming in between the two scuppers in the basin at the salon door. It's also leaching up the walls and blackening them. We're pretty sure that it's fresh water, not salt. Anybody else had this problem?
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Re: Fresh water leaks wrecking our sole

Post by holomoku »

I had this problem. Thought it was under the cockpit floor at first as well. Careful inspection under the floor around the fuel tank did not reveal any cracks or penetrations. My fix was to re-caulk the helm station. I found water in the compartment under the helm (mine holds house batteries). If the chase holding the steering cables is not totally sealed water can get in there and then migrate all along the sole with wave action.
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Re: Fresh water leaks wrecking our sole

Post by chicagocat »

As Holo points out, these problems can be difficult to diagnose. If possible, leave the fresh water tank completely empty for a couple days when rain is expected. That should help you figure out if it's rainwater or from the fresh water system somewhere.

Others (including myself) have had occasional leaking from the fixtures that connect to the main water tank. This is especially common when the tank is completely filled or overfilled. When I fill the tank, I fill it completely, then run a faucet for about 10 minutes so that the tank isn't completely full. Also, make sure that the inspection port on the top of the water tank is completely tight. Also, feel around the top and base of the tank to see if you feel moisture.

The problem is that water leaks can move water from almost any point on the boat to any other point, so leaks are difficult to find.

Good Luck.
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL