Ease to walk around on top of the cat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Missou
deckhand
deckhand

Ease to walk around on top of the cat

Post by Missou »

I was looking at some pictures of the PDQ 36 and noticed that there was not a lot of space to walk on the deck on each side of the salon but that there were some hand rails on the roof of the saloon to hold on to.
I just spoke with the owner of the Antares company who use to work for PDQ and he told me that the deck of the PDQ 36 was not always flat but that most of them did have the hand rails.
He also told me that the PDQ 36 was not the best to do ocean crossings because of it's size but that it was capable of doing so; of course, the Antares would be a better choice.
For me, getting an Antares means waiting 5 to 10 years before sailing off, winning the lottery or use some other illegal way to get the money.
I am no criminal, winning the lottery is a dream and I do not really want to wait 10 years to get out and go the distance.
In other words, I am still looking at the PDQ very seriously.

Could you talk to me about the deck? Does it have a lot of inclinasions? Is there a way I could see one up close so I can evaluate how easy it is for me to walk on it?
I don't mind driving a little, especially if it is to visit what could be my futur home :D
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Re: Ease to walk around on top of the cat

Post by Page 83 »

I discourage people from trying to walk on the lower level. It is safer and more secure to step up on the cabin top. You can hold onto the bimini, then the shrouds and finally the mast. I would have to ask Dream Catcher about rigging jack lines for a harness in rough conditions. The cabin top slopes down over the staterooms, but the slope is gentle and if the nonskid is in fair or better condition, the footing is safe.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Yep - I'm a cabin top believer. Those lifelines are a false sense of security (basically the last line of splash prevention)...
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
Missou
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Missou »

Thanks!!

I do not count on any lifelines, I am 5'7" and they raise up just a little above my knee. I find them more dangerous than anything.
I was talking about the hand rails on the cabin top, now those are more secure in my opinion.
Walking on the cabin top could be a little difficult for me. I might get the habit to do it after a while but for now, I am very nervous about it.

I am going to do a lot of leg workouts to get them as strong as possible; it is always much easier when you have a balance problem.
They are strong enough for land walking but not for cabin tops :lol:

Thanks again!!
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Lifelines are not dangerous, a common but foolish point of view (sorry guys). There are good reasons the sailing orgs are seroius about them. If it is rough, you should be moving low, and they will catch you if you are sliding. They are not OSHA railings, but they serve a very real purpose.

Jacklines are important. There are many posts on the topic. They also serve as auxilary hand rails, down low where you should be.

I dislike going over the cabin top in bad weather, as there is nothing to hold on to. In rough conditions, that's dangerous, since you can be lifted clear off your feet by a sudden drop off a big wave. Better to be low, on the sides, with a solid grip and a tether/short jackline combo.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Missou
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Missou »

I've been also thinking about changing the stanchions for some that are 30" high. They would be safer for me since I need something to hold on to if I need to go in front of the catamaran while it is under way.
Of course, I will have a harness in rough weather but the handrails are at a proper height and the harness is a protection, not a support. Too bad the handrails are not all around the boat.

Hubby and I are planning to do long range cruising and we'll have to be ready for everything.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

There's nothing inherently wrong with higher railings. You will have to raise the foot of the genoa or it will not set correctly. You will also need to remember that a railing that is 50% higher will need to be twice as strong; this means reworking and through bolting all of the mountings. Not only is there more leverage, they will be used more and that will cause loosening.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Missou
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Missou »

Aren't the stanchions 24" high? But I agree that they will be used more often and that reworking them is something I hadn't though of.

Boy, this is becomming more and more complecated :lol: Good thing it is all worth it!!
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

Correct, 24 inches.

Still, the increase in leverage and difference in how they will be used greatly increases the strength requirment. As they are now, they form a net to catch sliding sailors. If they are higher and are used to provide suport while walking in lumpy seas, the day-to-day strain is much greater. I stand by what I said, that they may need to be 2x as strong. The current stauchions are certainly not up to long-term use as railings. Life lines rails are not designed for that. They are really "net suports." This is true on 98% of the sailboats out there.

I am not trying to discourage you. I think for you this might be a good idea. I'm simply trying to give sound engineering advise.
Missou
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Missou »

Don't worry Drew, you are definitly not discouraging me. Your tips and advices are not the discouraging type, actually, they are very helpful.
I am going to West Marine today and I will talk about the stanchions extentions with someone overthere. I hope I will get some good answers.

I'll be gone sailing for the weekend, take care y'all!!
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

FWIW, Next Exit has 30" stainless rails port, starboard and aft. I also rig jacklines which remain up for my full season in the Bahamas. I have solo sailed for 10 years and go forward at sea only when abolutely necessary if there is any rough weather at all.
Don Wilson
Next Exit
Missou
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Missou »

Thanks Don!! This is good to know.