Leek in bow along the trampolene

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
donniepou
deckhand
deckhand

Leek in bow along the trampolene

Post by donniepou »

I HAVE A 1994 pdq 36 lRC, When I had it out to bottom paint, I noticed some fine cracks in the hull between the pontoons under the trampolene. up on closer inspection I found the hull to be very spungey. After looking in the inspection plates in both the hulls I found about 6" of water in both sides of the dead space.This has been collecting for a long time. I talked to the previous owner and to the surveyor who did the boat when I purchased it 18 mounth ago to let them know what had happened. I was with the surveyor when he went over the boat and we didn't even look in the inspection plates because they were not easy to see.
The water came in through the bolt holes that attach the molding to the trampolene supports. I don't think it has ever been resealed since the boat was new.
Hopefully this will be a heads up for you, it was a costly repair.
Has anyone else had this problem?
James Power
admiral
admiral

Re: Leek in bow along the trampolene

Post by James Power »

Hey Donniepou,

I have seen this on a few 36's during our vessel inspections and its definitely an area worth checking out. Some 36's didn't get inspection plates installed in this area, so they may want to look at having this done.

James
Exit Strategy
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Exit Strategy »

I own a 1999 36' and found the same amount of water in each of my "dead" spaces earlier this summer. I purchased the boat last year and my surveyor also missed this issue. Along with rebedding the screws, I am installing drain hardware into the washdown locker from each side area.
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Can you guys describe exactly which "dead spaces" you're referring to? I'm not sure I understand, and I'd like to take a look when I get a chance.

Thanks,
Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

I expect they are referring to the floatation chambers in each corner accessible by inspection plates. I regularly have water in the rear ones but rarely up forward.
Don Wilson
Next Exit
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Donniepou,
In addition to the bow and stern sealed comartments, there is a transverse (athwartrship) compartment that runs from the top aft area of the starboard anchor locker to the top aft area of the port anchor locker. This area is triangular in shape being formed by the upper deck, the underside bridge deck, and the vertical forward bulkhead (same bulhead as rear of anchor lockers). On my boat, (hull #10) there is a inspection cover in each anchor locker. As James said, some boats may not have these inspection covers. Later boats used the center portion of this area for storage (windlass?) with a deck hatch. I can take a photo if you wish.
Chet
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

Any pictures of the bow inspection ports and the center inspection ports would be appreciated.

Spencer
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Thanks Chet,
That makes more sense to me now. Anne Z is a 1996 model LRC, and has the center deck hatch. It also does not have inspection ports in the anchor lockers. So I guess that it probably has two small "dead spaces" on each side of the center locker. Probably worth putting inspection ports in the anchor lockers to get a look in there....

Thanks,
Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

Chet - Photos of where the inspection ports are located would be very informative.
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
lauraj
1st mate
1st mate

Post by lauraj »

did anyone ever get pictures or now have pictures of the forward inspection plates?

We just bought a 1990 34'. she is in Grenada with flooded compartments and we are in NY.
I would really like to be able to give details to the yard, so that they can get the water out.

does anyone have dimensions of the forward compartments so that if the plates are not there, I can tell them where to cut to install them?
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

We have a 1991 PDQ 36 and there are Pyhi style inspection ports in the back of the forward lockers - not sure how the 34's are. You might check with Mike on the Zero to Crusiing website or Drew (you'll see his posts here) - they are both very familiar with the 34's. On the 36's they are not easy to access, during our survey the surveyor used a digital camera with an extension to look inside.

Good luck with it...
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Are the 34's set up the same as the 32?
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

The 34 was the original 36. To create the 36 the aft steps were added to the almost vertical transoms of the 34.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind