salon windows

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Bob
admiral
admiral

salon windows

Post by Bob »

The time has come to replace the front salon windows. Looking back on related posts I see some folks used butyl tape and others Sikaflex 295UV. Did the folks using Sikaflex use the 205 Aktivator for the fiberglass and the 206 G&P for the window or did you just apply it without surface prep other than cleaning. I have experimented with forming pieces of the old window as no one in this area wanted to attempt the curve. It looks like I will be using my Coleman catalytic heater to soften the the plastic enough to get the curve bent. Has anyone else done their own bending?
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: salon windows

Post by amytom »

I used the full kit and it worked out nicely. One thing to be careful of is it's a messy job. I thought for sure that just taping the edges and a few scraps of paper to rest stuff on would be fine; well... it's good that I planned on repainting that side anyways. Cover everything you don't want to permanently turn black.
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Sound like it has the mess factor of 5200 :lol:
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Bob,
It is a bit messy but if you mask everything the final product comes out really nice.
Hull 10 used flat acrylic windows so I have no experience in bending.
I used the Sikaflex 295UV with 226 cleaner and 209 primer. I also abraded the acrylic in the bonding area with 3m abrasive pads and used 1/8" rubber washers so the window would "stand off" the hull. The spacing is essential to allow the window to expand and contract without breakking the seal. The finished job (10 windows) came out beautiful with no leaks whatsoever.
Chet
PDQ36 Hull #10
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Chet, I'm using 205 and 206 G+P for surface prep and hoping acetone will do for cleaner. I'm glad you mentioned the 209 as I missed it in this document http://us01.webdms.sika.com/fileshow.do?documentID=1288. As a side note I was playing around with some scraps and the old window. I tried a propane torch and with careful application the new piece bent perfectly but the old piece when it reached bending temp turned milky white. I think the way I have settled on is to use a combination of catalytic heater on one side and a heat gun on the other.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

Are the later model salon window interior trim rings fiberglass? It seem that they are much wider than my originals. I tried to redo ours by milling starboard to an "L" shape as were the originals. They looked good for a few months but have cracked open at the base of the "L". Has anyone else redone their trim? What did you use?
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace