New mainsail advice

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
windrush
1st mate
1st mate

New mainsail advice

Post by windrush »

The time has come to replace our aging mainsail on Windrush (36074) and I'm looking for any guidance/wisdom from those of you that have already gone this route. We're looking into Triton sails, Calvert and Mack sails but any suggestions and insights on a sailmaker, material, etc. would be greatly appreciated. We cruise each fall/winter/spring in the Bahamas. Thanks in advance.
Bruce
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Re: New mainsail advice

Post by Dan White »

Hi Bruce
My interaction with Calvert Sails was exemplary. I am happy with the mainsail I bought from them with one exception, that is my fault - not theirs. I increased the size of the main significantly by having a fuller roach. However, i did not increase the jib; thus I have serious weather helm. In strong winds to correct it, I need to reef earlier. I am thinking of maybe upgrading the jib, but that's in a future budget.
On the bright side, the boat sails better than it used to in light winds.
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Re: New mainsail advice

Post by eepstein »

We used Neil Pryde. The local Rep made it great as me measured for a slightly larger main and a 143% custom Genny with reefing foam strips. The sail quality is great and the slides are offshore quality. We got a great boat show price of under $5500 for both sails.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

New mainsail advice

Post by martincreek150 »

I'm across the Neuse River from the "sailing capital of North Carolina", but it wasn't easy to buy sails locally.

I had a North salesman who would not return my initial calls. I had a local sail loft that would not take a short ferry ride to measure the boat and another local loft that wouldn't return calls.

I went with Ullman Sails and I am very pleased with the results. I don't believe that Ullman had ever constructed PDQ 36 sails. Ullman purchased digital plans and had their Chinese sailmakers (local?) turn out a very nice mainsail and jib. I only wish that I'd gotten the Neil Pryde boat show prices, mentioned above.
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043