Source for crossbeam??

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Source for crossbeam??

Post by NautiBits »

Dear PDQ Forum,

I hear, on good authority, that there may be a source for purchasing parts, like a PDQ36 crossbeam, acquired when the Whitby operation folded.

Does anyone know this source?

Does anyone know how much a crossbeam costs?

Please!?! and Thank you!

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Source for crossbeam??

Post by amytom »

For the front crossbeam check with OffShore Spars.
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Thanks AmyTom!
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Not what your year model crossbeam is like, but on our 1991the fiberglass is laid up with a metal rub rail for support across the top. The rub rail stock is available from TACO marine metals. Shortly after we first bought II the Max we had a run in with a channel marker with a faulty light, luckily going slow (and looking for the marker). The encounter bent the rub rail and created a dimple and small crack in the crossbeam and luckily no serious damage. I removed the rub rail and added a small prefab hatch cover over the damaged area for access. I repaired the crossmember form inside with roving going well beyond the damaged area then filled the crack and added a layer of cloth over the fill area. Sanding and a coat of Gelcoat and she looks good as new and been fine for the last 8 years.

I only replaced the damaged section (side actually) of the rubrail with a piece a nother member had left over from a refit. It was the same shape but not the same hole pattern (couldn't beat the price). At the joint I braced it from underneath with a substantial overlap using 1.5"x.25" SS channel. It only required going with longer screws. We keep pretty much to the Chesapeake bay, if we were doing open water I'd probably keep an eye on it, or possibly replace the two piece rubrail with single section.

Hope this helps,
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Mine is the 2000 version. I'm not sure what differences they have, if any. For now, I'm going to live with it. Off Shore Spars is a source for replacement, when the time comes. At some point, someone will come along that has a similar issue and another solution. Meanwhile, one of these days I'll inject fresh water into the largest hole, and then periodically flush it again. It was sealed up initially, and that didn't keep it from corroding. So, I'll keep it open and clean it every so often.

Thanks,

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Here's a picture taken during the repair process.
Attachments
Crossmember rubrail repair
Crossmember rubrail repair
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max