Bringing our dog to the Bahamas

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Kassf
deckhand
deckhand

Bringing our dog to the Bahamas

Post by Kassf »

I've read conflicting information about her international health certificate. One source says she has to get it no more than 48 hours before arrival in the Bahamas. Another says we have to provide the certificate to the Bahamas people within 48 hours of arrival. Which is it? It's going to be hard to know exactly when we're leaving, given changing weather conditions crossing the Gulf Stream, and lack of a car as we sail down to Florida to get ready to cross.

Help!
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Bringing our dog to the Bahamas

Post by GaryWizard »

When I brought my dog (on our PDQ 36) to the Bahamas 2 yrs ago (into Bimini), the health certificate was probably a month old and I had no problems. I cleared Immigration & Customs and had all my paperwork (including forms gotten from the Bahamas gov't website if I'm remembering this correctly) and it was rather simple. Make sure you have a fairly recent titer test & all vaccinations up to date. Just like most of the Caribbean, they only recognize 1-yr rabies vaccinations.

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
Kassf
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Kassf »

Thanks Gary, the web info I've been seeing all says 3-year vaccinations are okay though. Where did you see this about one-year vac's only?
admiral
admiral

Post by 36041 »

Kassf,

I do volunteer work with the vet in Georgetown (Great Exuma) and the dog question comes up quite frequently. Here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Exuma-An ... 9487056756 is the link to the vets page on Facebook along with a couple of phone numbers you can call to get the latest info. Not sure if the page mentions it, but the area code here is 242.

Regards,
Tom
http://www.tendervittles.net
Kassf
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Kassf »

Thanks Tom I will do that!