pdq 36 rig tuning--baby stay

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
catalacmarc
skipper
skipper

pdq 36 rig tuning--baby stay

Post by catalacmarc »

Hi, am in the process of buying a 1991 PDQ (outboard model) "Honu" ex-"Frolic", ex-"Zephyr". I have scanned the board here and picked up some good information. Very few issues with the boat, not the best maintained outboards but recoverable (I hope), blisters towards the bottom of the sides of the starboard keel(not the port), and finally evidence of some water intrusion through the baby-stay fitting. No structural damage that I have seen. My question is generated by the observation that the heads of the bolts through the short chainplate are not lying flat on the chainplate. The chainplate seems to have been displaced slightly upwards. Given the short length of the chain plate and the tension on the stay, I think that it has been kept slightly over tightened. Generally, my understanding is that baby stays ought to be kept hand tight to dampen mast pumping but I don't know what the expectation is for PDQs.The short length of the chain plate leads me to believe that is true for PDQs as well. Any suggestions regarding tuning the baby stay would be appreciated.
Marc