Dynamat

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Dynamat

Post by jimlong »

Curious if anyone has used a sound deadener in the engine bays on the outboard models to kill off that monotonous drone noise or if it would even work?
amytom
admiral
admiral

Re: Dynamat

Post by amytom »

I'm interested as well. My boat has marks as if something was glued on at one time but nothing there now.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I thought about that, but...

a. I'm not sure I want anything that holds dampness.

b. I REALLY don't want to loose any space in the engine well.

c. I'm pretty sure that most the drone is vibration originating from the engine mounts and transmitted into the core. Foam wouldn't help. For example, pile about 4 quilts over the engine an notice that there is some damping of high frequencies, but no effect lower. I tried this with a dB meter, since I was also considering just doing the cover (wouldn't be in the way).

The cure would be some really cushy mounts (not just a rubber pad--that will NOT decouple the motion, because there is too much area), like you have for an AC compressor or automobile engine. A real design challenge, and not enough room under the clamps to fit it.

But I would love to look into if someone has tried it or something different. I like projects!
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Post by doubledutch »

I added 1 inch thick sound deadener to the access lid on my 32 but it did not make any significant difference.
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

I can deal with the vibration, its the combustion noise from the exhaust that I would like to minimize. From what I understand Dynamat is like tar with a thin aluminum covering so don't think any foam is involved and can't imagine it would take up that much room. This stuff isn't cheap and thought I'd put feelers out to see if anyone has insulated the entire area. Oh well, I suppose it will just give me more incentive to hoist the sails.