Galley sink saltwater faucet

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Galley sink saltwater faucet

Post by jimlong »

Hi all, I'm thinking of adding a faucet at the sink for saltwater and don't want to install another thru hull. I've already tapped into the hose feeding the head for my watermaker with a 3/4" hose that runs all the way to underneath the port side settee. This 3/4" hose which is now close to the galley sink would be ideal for bringing saltwater to the sink. Is there any reason that I couldn't tee off this 3/4" line again with a small pump in between the tee and the faucet? Also not sure what size pump would be required, low pressure/high pressure and/or GPM requirements. Appreciate any links and all thoughts, Jim
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: Galley sink saltwater faucet

Post by thinwater »

I had one of these on my last boat. Though not high pressure or high flow, it doesn't require an accumulator tank, and is light and compact. I think it is a reasonable approach for a secondary system like this. All you need is a little water for washing dishes, correct?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=199045
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

We had a factory installed unit in Second Wind. It was connected through the A/C cooling hose and used only a foot pump.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

our powercat came with a saltwater deck washdown. i wanted a saltwater sprayer in the galley. i put a tee in the line and used a 3/8" id hose to the galley. there i used a double ended hose barb to join the hose to an off the self sink faucet spray. it's worked well for 10 years.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

Drew, Thx for the link, that Jabsco faucet/pump combo was the one I was thinking of using, seems pretty straight forward. Tired of having to collect sea water off the back steps every evening for dishes.

Terry, Thought about the manual pump but looking at the specs for that Jabsco pump 1.5 amp doesn't seem horrendous.

John, You gotta love that deck washdown, that's my next project. I may have to add another thru hull, just not sure how many times I can tap into one source.

Thanks for the replies my PDQ brethren, this site is the best!
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

i think it probably depends on whether anything will be used concurrently more than just the number of taps, but then again i'm not a hydrologist.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

I'm no hydrologist either, which brings me to this question. Being that the faucet is so far above the water line should I use a self-priming pump or non self-priming or does it even matter?
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

we used the factory installed jabsco self primer. right now we have a leaky check valve which i will replace after holidays, but otherwise works well.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

The Jabsco pump needs to be below the waterline. Mine was.

Having spent 35 years as a chemical engineer specing out and working with pumps you never rely on self-prime unless flooded suction (below the waterline) is impossible for some reason. Self primers can work, of course, but there are other drawbacks.

Even with flooded suction, is important to follow the "up-hill" rule. The suction line will get air in it underway and centrifugal pumps can't move air, so try VERY hard to have a steady upwards path so that air bubbles can simply go up. It's one of those reliability details. It's a big deal on AC water pumps, for example, one of the most common installation errors.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
jimlong
admiral
admiral

Post by jimlong »

I'm not sure i understand what the hazard would be by mounting a self-priming pump between the tee under the port settee and the faucet? If the pump quits or malfunctions then the faucet just won't work. It's gonna be a major pain to mount it at the thru hull for the head.