Hi, I am a PDQ enthusiast, new member and prior forum lurker who has been soaking up as much information as I can. Such a knowledgeable, helpful, friendly group! Thank you for all that you have taught me!
I have been dreaming about my own boat for about a decade having crewed OPB (cruisers and a racing tri). My spouse and I are now in the market for an early-mid 1990s PDQ 36 Classic or Capella cruising cat (with outboard motors). I narrowed my search to PDQ based on many factors but especially my hope that it is one of the higher performing small cruisers. I have however, received conflicting information from sellers and from other forums. I have not sailed on a PDQ yet, and I know that is the most important thing; but in the meantime, I would really appreciate if I could hear from some straight shooters exactly what kind of performance I can expect.
- I know I will need to keep the boat light. Can you tell me what speeds you get (at various points of sail) in 5-10, 10-15 and 15-20k when your boat is light? (Even learning how fast those of you with heavier boats can go would be helpful.
- How close to apparent wind you can sail?
Related questions below:
- I have read about the Express PDQs, hull extensions, bowsprits, and daggerboards, but are there any other more common things I should look for to improve performance?
- Earlier masts were 40' 10" and later ?year? an additional 4' was added or was optional? Earlier boats were masthead sloops but later some fractional rigs were made? Please correct me if I am wrong.
- Is there anything about some PDQs (besides STUFF) that is known to hurt performance?
- Can you tell me what sailing tips you have successfully used to improve tacking angle? Speed? (Thinwater, early on I read tips of yours [thank you] but I haven't been able to re-find them and put it all together.)
- Does anyone recall reading a particular book for beginning sailors / cruisers that was especially helpful?
My husband and I will be in the Miami / Fort Pierce area next Friday 3/31 and wonder if anyone might be willing to spend a few hours sailing and discussing "all things boat" in exchange for lunch or perhaps a bottle of wine (hubby is not a sailor, but is a wine enthusiast ). Oh and no matter if yours is a heavier boat!!! We would love to see what it is like to sail any PDQ 36! (Please PM)
Thank you and cheers!
(I meant to put this on the PDQ 36 board and don't know how to move it)
Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest