Fuel Tank upgrade

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Fuel Tank upgrade

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I have an early 36 with the 35 gallon rectangular tank. I know many were built that way. There is room under the cockpit deck to replace it and install a larger tank, I have heard that some have done it or came from the factory like that, something closer to 50-55 gallons I heard? Has anyone done this upgrade? Or does anyone have that configuration from the factory. It would have to be L shaped similar to the cockpit deck shape. I would love to make this addition if anyone can tell me anything about theirs or where you got it done. I assume it will be custom but I know there are places that make custom tanks for a reasonable price, I just need to make sure the measurements are right the first time :-)

Thanks in advance,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Allie-May
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Fuel Tank upgrade

Post by Allie-May »

I have the same tank as you in my boat under the cockpit floor but I also have a secondary 20 gallon tank in the port lazarette. Both tanks run to a Y-valve just before the fuel filter in the port engine compartment for easy tank selection. The tank is tucked to port so the space under the lazarette hatch is still usable.

I know this isn't the solution you are looking for but it is another option for increasing fuel capacity and it would be cheaper too.
James & Allison
36019 - Allie-May
Cocoa, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Great idea! So only the port engine can use the 2nd tank?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Allie-May
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Allie-May »

I have one fuel filter / water separator which services both engines. The Yamaha 9.9s sip fuel so sharing a filter isn't an issue.

Both the main and secondary tank fuel lines run to the port engine compartment and into a 3-way valve. From the 3-way valve one line exits to the fuel filter which is about a foot away. I then have two fuel lines leaving the filter; one to port engine and one to starboard. The starboard engine fuel line runs under the cockpit floor.

I'm guessing you have a filter/separator in each engine compartment. You'd have to run the two tanks to a convenient location for a selector valve then to a splitter for a run to each filter. I'm sure something exists that'll probably do both in one valve.
James & Allison
36019 - Allie-May
Cocoa, FL
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Post by martincreek150 »

The reinforcing blocks that are glassed into the hulls for 50 gallon fuel tanks would most likely not match the reinforcing blocks for the 30-35 gallon tank. So, you'd probably face some glass work to prepare to mount the larger tank.

The 50 gallon tanks have two fuel pick-ups, so I have two fuel lines and two racor filters.

I replaced my 50 gallon tank 15 months ago. The fabricator (a class act) insisted on having the old tank from which to work. The replacement tank was a near perfect copy. I made drawings of the old tank (attached, NOT FOR ACTUAL USE) , but the fabricator only wanted to lay hands on the old tank and was uninterested in the drawings. Admittedly, the drawings don't contain all of the requisite details.

Sadly, I left the old tank with the fabricator. I'd have been happy to "share" it, had I known it could have helped the 30-35 gallon folks. Maybe someone with 50 gallons has an old tank they could "share".
Attachments
Replacement Fuel Tank for Nalani.pdf
INSUFFICIENT DETAIL FOR FABRICATION. DO NOT USE FOR FABRICATION.
(315.13 KiB) Downloaded 537 times
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Thank you, same as my tank but mine does not have the extra L section...who was your fabricator?

Thanks,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL