supporting the hull on a 36

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
rbrentp
deckhand
deckhand

supporting the hull on a 36

Post by rbrentp »

Hi,
Am looking at a putting in a boat lift for a 36. Another owner said the boat is supposed to be supported under the bridge deck when on the hard. Never heard of this before. How do you support hulls when on the hard?
Thanks,
Brent
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Re: supporting the hull on a 36

Post by Lady of the Lake »

See the link for the PDQ36 Classic Owners Manual on my www.pdq36.com website:

http://www.pdq36.com/links.html

Specifically pages 35 and 54.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I think the great majority of yards just store them on their bottoms with stands. A better question is "has you boat been damaged by blocking? How?"

I have seen damage to internal bulkheads caused by stands placed poorly. The bottom skins on these cats is only about 3/16-inch, because they do not have support keel loads. Thus, they are somewhat delicate when out of the water. I believe a boat lift could be a problem, since it would be difficult to get the blocking points just right. On the other hand, they are picked with travel lifts all the time. Straps distribute the forces better than a poorly placed stand. You don't want the load on 4 points on the bottoms. There should be some distribution.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Chet White (Allezcat) had his 36 on a lift in SW Florida for a number of years before he sold it. Never a problem as far as I know. He did a bunch of pretty hairy trips ton the Bahamas with no problems.

You should send him a private message I think he still monitors this board. He's super smart and would know exactly how to do this without damage. If not, I can get you his contact info.
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
rbrentp
deckhand
deckhand

Post by rbrentp »

Thank you all for the feedback. I am trying to reach out to Chez.

Server seems to be having issues so I will try the docs later. Thank you for the link.
martincreek150
1st mate
1st mate

Post by martincreek150 »

I've had two boatyards decline to use the owners' manual blocking specifications. That's two out of two. Our time on the hard, on the keels and a few jack stands, is usually brief.

Trying to construct a boat lift to meet the owner's manual blocking specifications would be quite a job.

I do know that boat lifts can be fabricated to haul the boat in canvas straps (sometimes very large canvas straps), instead of on steel beams. (I own one for a small boat.)

Once you've decided on a solution, we'd all like to see it?
Dempster and Carole Wheeler
Nalani 36043