Life Raft for PDQ 36

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Old PDQ Message Board
Site Admin

Life Raft for PDQ 36

Post by Old PDQ Message Board »

Life Raft for PDQ 36

Posted by Mike Murray on April 15, 2004 at 19:17:00:

Has anyone installed an offshore life raft, such as a Switlik, on a 36? If so, where is the best spot so as not to foul jib

sheets?

Follow Ups:

Re: Life Raft for PDQ 36 - 16:01:02 04/21/04 (0)

Posted by - on April 21, 2004 at 16:01:00:

In Reply to: Life Raft for PDQ 36 posted by Mike Murray on April 15, 2004 at 19:17:00:

The vessel is equipped with 6 sealed floatation chambers. Two aft, and four forward. The chances of her sinking completely

are exceedingly remote in my estimation, even if badly holed.

But I would like to say, PLEASE folks, regularly check the gaskets on the inspection hatches and replace any that leak. Very

cheap insurance.

If it ever came down to it, I would MUCH rather trust my life to a semi floating hull than in a little rubber life raft. Ever

sat in a life raft? I have. In a word, tiny. Now try to imagine one in 12 foot seas and 25 knott winds! And try to imagine a

plane spotting you in that little thing.

Safety at sea was a big consideration when I bought my boat. I believe that the PDQ 36 is one of the more safe boats afloat.

Nothing is perfectly safe, but the engineering details have been considered and admirably dealt with in my opinion.

An early Hull number (can't recall which one- in the teens I believe) had both bows SHEARED OFF to the back of the anchor

lockers while at anchor during a hurricane, and stayed afloat! In fact, I was told that she was motored to shore under her

own power afterwards. That's a remarkable testimony to superior engineering. I saw the pictures of the damage. It was

devasting and I am sure a lesser vessel would have sunk. I'd never call a PDQ (or any boat unsinkable (Titanic anyone?) but

she's damn well built. I would trust my life to her.

Another ran into bad weather off the east coast of Canada. The crew panicked and abandoned her to a life raft. She washed

ashore unscathed (until the idiot morons in the salvage crew dragged her across a parking lot with a tow truck!)

I had a PDQ professionally delivered over water. The insurance company told me to rent a life raft for the offshore leg of

the trip, UNTIL I told them it was a PDQ cat. They waived the life raft requirement, saving me quite a few dollars.

If it were me, I would spend the money on an EPIRB, and extra flares stored in a well equipped, waterproof "gone away bag".

And a bunch more stuff!
Stray Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Liferaft for PDQ 36

Post by Stray Cat »

Check out the Portland Pudgy dingy/liferaft at http://www.portlandpudgy.com
I was so impressed by the article in Ocean Navigator and the info on their website that I am designing a davit system to park the 7 foot 8 inch long hull aft between the hull 'tails' on my MV34. I expect that would fit a 36 hull neatly too.
Candy Chapman and Gary Bell in Stray Cat, MV34 hull 12