Need ideas for repair of warped floor hatch panels

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Need ideas for repair of warped floor hatch panels

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Hello all, this is my first post to the forum since purchasing TechnoCat from Jim Fleming and Rick Gordon. It is great to be part of the PDQ family. We love the boat. However, there are a few things on the to-do list that I could use some help with. First order of business is to get the floor panels level so they dont rock when we walk on them. It appears that they have warped over the years. Anyone have the same problem? How did you repair them. Is it as simple as planing down the supports so they sit flush or has someone come up with something more ingenious?

Thanks!
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Page 83
admiral
admiral

warped floorboards

Post by Page 83 »

There can be two causes; if the boards themselves won't lay flat on a truly flat surface, you will end up replacing them. If they do pass the flat test, your problem is with the frames. If the boat spent a long time on blocks and stands, the frames may have warped or separated between plies, and the repair is fairly simple. After the boat has been in the water long enough to settle back on her lines, repair and splint the frames.

However, I don't think that Technocat has been out of the water very long.

The deck material is a common but very expensive item at most marine lumber yards. Maybe someone here knows of an economical alternative.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026